We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transportation to and from San Juan

Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel...
Level Contributor
662 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Public transportation to and from San Juan

Hello,

s for public transportation to and from San Juan:

1. What kind of public transportation exist? Publico? Big bus?

2. How long does it take and how much does it cost?

3. What locations in Fajardo do they leave from?

Thnak's

Ori

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transportation to and from San Juan

Public transportation in PR is not reluable, and even less so outside of SJ.

If you wanted to take public transport from SJ to Fajardo, tou would need a bus, then transfer to train, then bus. Bus would stop aroubd the town center in Fajardo. From there you would need taxi to final destination (which you would have to call ahead of time) or take a separate bus. This will take at least half a day instead of 45min.

So the recommendation is to rent a car (you will need it if you are staying in that area) or take a taxi ($80+$1 per bag).

Edited: 31 January 2016, 18:25
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel...
Level Contributor
662 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transportation to and from San Juan

I am interested only in public transportation, not car rent or a taxi. time is not a problem.

1. How much does it cost?

2.. What EXACT locations in Fajardo do they leave from?

Thank's

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,062 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transportation to and from San Juan

do you speak fluent Spanish?

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transportation to and from San Juan

1. A few dollars

2. You will need to ask a local. The bus terminal should be close to the town center.

No one here takes the public bus, so it will be hard getting EXACT answers.

Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel...
Level Contributor
662 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transportation to and from San Juan

Thank's for your answers. No i don't speak fluent Spanish

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transportation to and from San Juan

Publicos require local knowledge and really not meant for tourism. The particular route you are asking about is often used by locals from Vieques and Culebra to get to low cost shopping in Rio Piedras and back. The Publicos meet the ferry at the dock In The early morning and go to Hato Rey neighborhood in San Juan .there is a sort of a bus station in both Fajardo and Hato Rey where you can transfer to other Publicos that do different local routes or to buses in San Juan.

There are no published schedules you will just need to ask.

Without very good Soanish it may be difficult to navigate.The other frequent users would be students but neither group would be likely to frequent travel forums.

When you rent a car for a week or more the cost can be as low as $18 a day and that is really why public transportation is not used or discussed much.

In South America almost everyone uses buses to get everywhere. This society developed differently and there is very little public transport except in San Juan proper where it is very good. In the city public transportation is more popular because parking is a at a premium on crowded city streets .

Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel...
Level Contributor
662 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transportation to and from San Juan

thank you very much for this PRACTICAL answer. If the publicos meet the ferries this is perfect for me, as i want to visit Vieques as well and it might be a good solution. I don't need a car, i'm alone and i'll use the same public transportation as the locals, even if it's not the best. Do you know if publicos leave for other place in Fajardo rather than the port?

Thank's :-)

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transportation to and from San Juan

Most locals do not use public transportation, fyi. The system is not very reliable.

Also, I think the publicos stop at Rio Piedras, not Hato Rey, unless this route is different.

Wholegrain, do they allow bags in those publicos?

Edited: 01 February 2016, 14:38
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transportation to and from San Juan

Just FYI a Publico from Fajardo to San Juan will be around $26 each way plus bags fare. It can take about 3 hours for this trip, unless you are lucky enough to board a Publico where all passengers are going to the same stop. Like mentioned on post above, cars stop in Rio Piedras- this is no way near to Old San Juan, Condado or Isla Verde. From there you will need another transportation to get to your next destination.

The Ferry terminal is the spot to find the public transportation, there are vans and smaller size cars. Just make sure to be there early (7-8 am) so that you can maximize the opportunity of a one stop route.

Last but not least, public transportation works on a Monday- Saturday schedule. None on Sundays, you will have to use "La Linea" for Sunday travels.

Edited: 01 February 2016, 17:18
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel...
Level Contributor
662 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transportation to and from San Juan

Thank you for the important information. I'm surprised of the high prices, i've heard to Fajardo it only costs a few bucks...