We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancel biobay tour?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cancel biobay tour?

We booked a Fajardo biobay tour for next week with Bioisland (boats, not kayaks) and are wondering whether it's worth making the trek from San Juan With since the water's glow is so low, Recent TA reviews seem positive, but not sure what else there is to see.

Also, can anyone tell me how bad mosquitoes are in the area and whether repellent is allowed?

Thanks for any insight!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancel biobay tour?

Well it's all relative. For someone that has never seen it. Even a 10% glow would be amazing.

Ann Arbor, Mich.
Level Contributor
450 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: cancel biobay tour?

Do you think you'll have a chance to do this again in the future? That's what it would come down to for me. We were fortunate to be able to do the Vieques biobay before they stopped doing day trips from the main island. It was a once in a lifetime experience. If this is your only chance (or best chance), do it.

As for bug spray, I believe it would be allowed because you don't actually go in the water (where it would wash off and become a pollutant).

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cancel biobay tour?

Thanks for your helpful comments! After reading these and talking with the very sweet and helpful Nydia at Bioisland, it does seem worthwhile as we've never seen a bioluminescent bay and don't know when we'll have another opportunity. I was told that bug repellent is allowed but has to be applied before getting on the boat, and the mosquitoes haven't been bad because it's been windy.

4. Re: cancel biobay tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2017, 05:17