We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Options- Jan Visit

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
129 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Options- Jan Visit

Hi- Thank you for providing so much info for us new to the area. I have done extensive reading and have learned a lot. Our travels are coming up and I'm hoping to fine tune our arrangements. We are friends, mid 30s, active, well traveled, do-it-yourselfers. I know the majority consensus here is to avoid the ferry. I'm just really having a hard time justifying the extra $ when the ferry is only $2. Here is what we have planned and our options:

Tue Jan 12th

Arrive from the States at 1:30pm. Pick up rental car from Charlie. Drive to Luquillo Beach and eat at Kiosks. Relax a bit (we flew on a red eye). Drive to Fajardo. Take 8:15 (last) ferry to Vieques. I know this is advised against. I will try to reserve tickets ahead of time by calling the office. We will get there early to pick them up or purchase if we were unsuccessful getting some reserved.

Tues Jan 12th- Fri Jan 15th. Staying on Vieques. Flying one day (the 14th) from Vieques to Culebra. Have already purchased that flight.

Fri Jan 15th- take ferry back to Fajardo and drive to El Yonque. We are parking car at ferry terminal. Hike and stay at El Hotelito.

Sat Jan 16th- Hike more in El Yonque and drive back to airport to depart for DR. Flight is at 3pm.

*Don't worry we are coming back to PR to explore the West side of the island and OSJ. We just hop over to the DR in the middle of our PR trip.

Question is this. . . I suppose the first day when we land at 1:30, we could pick up our rental, drive to Cieba (stopping at the kiosks to eat), and then take the 5:30 (last flight) to Vieques. Would we make this? How early do you have to arrive at the Cieba airport? If we did this, I'd want to visit Luquillo Beach on the way back to SJU on the 16th meaning we'd have less than one day in El Yonque - well what's left of one day after traveling there from Vieques. What would you do? Like I said, the $ aspect is really hard for me to accept and we enjoy taking the adventurous route using different types of transportation.

Thanks for your opinions/help!

:) Playdo

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Options- Jan Visit

$35 vs $2 is not a big splurge if you consider that if you miss the ferry then you have to find a hotel in the area and you will definitely spend more than $70. Then you have to try again the next day.

Plus, where are you staying in Vieques? Rental owners are not too happy to wait around for people to arrive on a possibly delayed last ferry.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
129 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Options- Jan Visit

Fair Enough. $ aside- if we arrive at SJU 1:30pm, get bags, pick up rental with Charlie, will we make last flight out of Cieba at 5:30pm? How early do we need to arrive in Ceiba for flight?

Staying at Casa Amistad in Vieques. We've notified them of our current plan arriving late at night.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Options- Jan Visit

You have enough time to get to Ceiba. You should be there around 4:30.

You could also fly ftom Isla Grande for $75. Might break even after considering the $25 taxi ride vs renting a car+ parking. And you will probably get to Vieques a few hours earlier.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
129 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Options- Jan Visit

Just wanting to update this thread incase it comes up as other people search for information. We flew instead of ferry and we're so glad we did. It was so easy and it was nice to get to the island fast and hassle free. The flight is literally 5 minutes from Ceiba and we easily made it to Ceiba at 4:30 after landing at 1:30 and stopping at the kiosks for a quick bite. We were glad that we drove the rental instead of flying from Isla Grande so we could stop at El Yunque on the way back. Thx nytoparis.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Options- Jan Visit

Glad it worked out.

6. Re: Itinerary Options- Jan Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2017, 06:18