We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best BioBay tour from Farajdo?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
What's the best BioBay tour from Farajdo?

Hello everyone,

There seems to be so many companies that do BioBay tours from Farajdo, so I am at a loss as to which one is the best or if one stands out in any way. I looked at the moon schedule and the day we are planning to go is supposed to be a great night for it.

We are a young, athletic couple in our late 20s, so the kayaking portion won't be a problem at all. Does anyone have any recommendations on which tour company to use?

Also, is it better to go on the earlier or later tour? Does it make a difference in terms of the brightness or is it really whichever is most convenient with the rest of our plans?

Thanks for the help!!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best BioBay tour from Farajdo?

Early or later tour doesn't matter much as long as the moon is dark.

All companies are more or less the same. We like Kayaking Puerto Rico.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best BioBay tour from Farajdo?

Great - we will just work around our schedule for that day and do what works best. i appreciate the input!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
765 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best BioBay tour from Farajdo?

After 2 visits to Farajdo over 2 years we decided to do the BioBay tour last year. After reading and hearing so much about them all I can say is what you will see is nothing like the brochures illustrate. So if you are expecting an underwater light show - it's not going to happen. Also, visualize about 100 or more kayaks in very narrow waterways, all headed to the bay. Not to memtion low hanging branches. Imagine how much fun you will have making your way back in almost complete darkness.

As for which tour, most of the operators offer kyacks, but there are maybe 2-3 that offer electric boats - with a capactity of about 8-10 people. If you do the kayak tours, the waterway can be quite crowded. All in all, if you lower your expectations you might enjoy it. However, we found it disappointing - and not very illuminating.

Edited: 07 November 2015, 05:26
Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the best BioBay tour from Farajdo?

The Bio Bay is not everyday the same. It depends on many factors how much glow it has. Yes, the brochures are enhanced, but it is still a beautiful Site to see.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
765 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the best BioBay tour from Farajdo?

We took a chance - but now that we have done it - I would not recommend it. For a family of 4, the money could be better spent elsewhere. It's dark, crowded and there are so many kayaks in the water makes it nearly impossible to see anything in the bio bay. A single firefly gives off more light.

If you enjoy kayaking, you would have more fun doing that - in the daytime. However, there are so many companies offering BioBay tours to an endless supply of tourists, that I'm sure they will continue with misleading enhanced promotional images. I would love to hear an honest opinion from a destination expert..

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,782 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the best BioBay tour from Farajdo?

I'm not a DE, but spend a lot of time here in the forum.

I have done the biobay w visiting friends. Never planned according to the moon/weather/etc. Always had a great time and enough glow. But this is like the northern lights. You can't go in expecting a light show with bright lights. Nature is not powered by electricity. The glow is noticeable. It is worth the effort. If you need more to be impressed, then natural phenomena are simply not things you enjoy.

Edited: 10 November 2015, 17:35
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the best BioBay tour from Farajdo?

I have done the Fajardo biobay trip a several times over the years. Sometimes it is great viewing, sometimes less. But it is still an interesting experience.

Of course if you go when nature has decided not to put on her show (after a lot of rain, cold weather, strange currents, or currently with the seaweed issue), it is not too impressive.

And yes, the photos of the glow are photo shopped. It is almost impossible to photograph the sparkle. There is too much light pollution to catch it sparkle in Fajardo on camera. Don't think glowing water, think twinkling stars.

When the moon is right and the lagoon healthy, I recommend it.

LDN
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the best BioBay tour from Farajdo?

You only get to really experience the glow for about 15 mins while you are in the centre of Laguna Grande. Definitely check the moon for the date - when I went it was near perfect. Moving anything in the water and you could see the glow, even the fishes. Not bright enough to take a picture, I did try!

Anyway the point was the actual journey to get to the lagoon and back again was an adventure in itself! Take your mobile to use as a torch or a separate torch in case you get stuck in the trees by the edge, happened to us a couple of times, girlfriend was in the front and it can get a bit dangerous as you can't see how low the trees go.

As for which company...whichever has space and is not too expensive (about $40-$50). We used Eco Action Tours after Enchanted cancelled on us due to weather...even though it was fine.

Edited: 10 November 2015, 18:42
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the best BioBay tour from Farajdo?

What companies offer boat tours of the biobay?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
918 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the best BioBay tour from Farajdo?

Sorry I see that they are booked for your weekend.

http://bioislandpr.com/about_us.html

Edited: 29 January 2016, 00:09