We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which day trip to do-combo snorkeling/kayaking or Catamaran?

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
183 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Which day trip to do-combo snorkeling/kayaking or Catamaran?

I am a mom traveling to PR with my 13-year old adventurous daughter next week. We will be staying in Luquillo, and are debating between two options for one of our days in the area. One possibility is doing a combination snorkeling/kayaking half-day expedition to Seven Seas (the Reef Garden Adventure offered by Pure Adventure). The other possibility is a five-hour Catamaran trip that includes snorkeling and a visit to Icacos (possibly with East Island or Spread Eagle). Does anyone have an opinion about which of these trips would be better or which area would offer better snorkeling? I worry a bit that the catamaran trips have too much of a focus on free drinks... And any experience with any of these companies?

I should mention that we are already booked to do the Bio-Bay tour with one of the electric boats, not on a kayak tour.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Luquillo
Luquillo
Puerto Rico
Pure Adventure
Pure Adventure
1,259 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,946 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which day trip to do-combo snorkeling/kayaking or Catamaran?

Guess it really depends on whether you want to kayak or not. There isn't _that_ much of a focus on drinking on the catamaran trips. Regarding which would have the best snorkeling ... neither is "world class" by any stretch of the imagination, so decide between kayak or sit back and enjoy the ride. Personally, I would opt for the catamaran.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which day trip to do-combo snorkeling/kayaking or Catamaran?

I would also go with a catamaran tour. Icacos is picture perfect Caribbean beach- white sand, blue water. You can find decent snorkeling if you go far enough away from the masses.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
183 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which day trip to do-combo snorkeling/kayaking or Catamaran?

These are helpful comments--thank you! Any reason to prefer one of the catamaran companies versus another? They all seem to have pretty good reviews on here. I can't tell if they have different reputations, though--maybe you locals would know?

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which day trip to do-combo snorkeling/kayaking or Catamaran?

In June we did the East Island Excursions catamaran tour and we were all very pleased. They take you to Icacos or an equivalents island. We snorkeled at Los Lobos island. They provide lunch and rum drinks and all snorkeling gear.

Mentioned in this post
East Island Excursions
East Island Excursions
1,743 Reviews
Puerto Rico
5. Re: Which day trip to do-combo snorkeling/kayaking or Catamaran?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 21:45