We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

palomino island

Ocean Township, New...
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
palomino island

i have privately rented a villa from an owner at las casitas... we have been told we are not allowed to use palomino island. does anyone know if there is a fee i can pay to go there?

Tarpon Springs...
Level Contributor
105 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: palomino island

if i am not mistaken, Palamino Island is owned by one individual, who leases part of the island to the El Conquistador, for their guest. I don't kow if you can pay to go there. Our tour guide told us this information while on a tour to other islands. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Edited: 22 May 2012, 13:51
Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: palomino island

You have to be a guest of the El Conquistador Hotel to visit and use the facilities of Palominos Island.

If you go on your own boat you can use the beach on Palominos only because all the beaches in PR are public up to a few feet from the high water mark.

If you have your own boat you could visit Palimonitos (little Palomino) Island It's public but no bar or restaurants, It's a small cay with 2 or so Palm trees.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: palomino island

As far as I know, Palomino is private property just like Isla de Lobos. You can go to Palominito on your own boat which is right next too

Seattle
Level Contributor
27 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: palomino island

I was told when staying there that the ferry cost money for non hotel guests, so I'm pretty sure they can ride it.

There are always a lot of people with private boats hanging out just North of where the resort's ferry pulls into the island, so if you have your own boat....

1 post
5. Re: palomino island

I called Elcon today and they said you MUST be a registered guest to take their ferry and go to Palomino Beach because of insurance purposes. I'm still trying to figure out how to get there without being a registered guest! Any help is appreciated!

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: palomino island

As I mentioned in comment 2.

You would have to have your own boat or charter a boat.

On Palominos you can use the beach but not the facilities so pack a cooler.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: palomino island

You must have your own boat to get there. I believe the fisherman's at Las Croabas can drop you at one of the cays but they charge around $100 for the trip. Even if you had a fisherman take you to Palomino you could not use the Conquistador facilities.

Also, definitely you cannot pay a fee to take the Conquistador Ferry to Palomino. It is for hotel guests only and they check you at the entrance of the ferry to confirmed you are a registed guest.

Edited: 29 July 2012, 23:50
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
67 reviews
8. Re: palomino island

sounds like a huge hassle to go to that island.

why not take the ferry to Vieques instead.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: palomino island

Frankie, actually the ferry is a bit more complicated, and still may be a better option.

Just a quick clarification. The $100 fee is the standard price for minimun of four passangers. Anything less let's say three passangers, the price still $100.

You have to weight in the pros and cons when it comes the Fajardo Cays vs the two other island municipalities.

1. Sure, going to Vieques or Culebra sound cheaper, is time consuming, but worth it. During summer time expect high schoolers and college students to flock the islands, and their number one choice is Culebra, then Vieques. Few will go and rent a boat to the cays. You must be there two hours earlier and pray to get tikects for the first trip out, so that's a bit of hassle, plus add about 1 1/2 travel time, that is taking the ferry and publicos, avarage $5 pp one way transpo to the beaches on both islands, must purchase round trip and must be there to not miss the trip back to big island, then another 1 1/2 hour travel time, additionally, don't forget the parking ticket. Best time to go is when everybody in class, plus the ferry system is unpredictable from time to time as being said here numerous times.

2. The Cays is probably the easier and a bit more expensive way assuming you already coordinated with Reinaldo and few others by phone. They very professional IMO. They will take you and pick you up a time you can set, but also depends how busy they are. Best doing in the morning if no arrangements made by phone, and a quick 10 to 15 minutes ride to the cays.

10. Re: palomino island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 04:16