We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Escondida / El Convento Beach claims another victim

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Escondida / El Convento Beach claims another victim

Today another person drowned here. It is very unfortunate that people continue to visit this beach. In this case the 18 year old drowning was rescued, but the good samaritan rescuer drowned. He was a 42 year old tourist, FBI Agent, that was at the beach with his family.

"Playa Escondida or Playa Convento is a beach that you get to by walking from Seven Seas. It is a very beautiful beach with clear waters and a reef a little bit off shore. Please do not let this appearance fool you!"

Please read more in the following post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147319-i71-k35200…

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Escondida / El Convento Beach claims another victim

So many times we have warned people about the danger on that beach, and accidents like this continue to happen!

Playa Escondida IS NOT a beach safe for swimming. Please stay suntaning on the sand, but not inside the water!

May the good samaritan rest in peace.

Edited: 30 December 2011, 00:28
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,144 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Escondida / El Convento Beach claims another victim

Very sad news. What a shame.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Escondida / El Convento Beach claims another victim

Terrible news indeed.

There is a high surf advisory for the entire north coast of PR, and along the east and west coasts also. Dangerous to go in the ocean right now unless there is a life guard around. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/sju/

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Escondida / El Convento Beach claims another victim

Very sad indeed. And most unfortunate that the person trying to save a life, ends losing his. My condolences to his family.

I've fished, swimmed and scuba dived those two beaches and know first hand of the dangers lurking beneath. But even with the signs advising NO TO DO IT, the beauty of the area makes the out of towners throw caution to the winds.

Even in dead calm seas, and undertow can swiftly carry you out if you are not paying attention. At Playa Colorada it only takes a few steps in and you are in deep water above your head. Add to that an undertow and you are drifting away rapidly. Playa Escondida is a beautyful area sorrounded by reefs and pools but nonetheless just as dangerous when conditions change as they do.

Best advice: If you need to get wet, lay down as close to shore without going over chest high.Check the wave action out there. Don't overestimate your swimming abilities. Have the "Buddy System" when posible.

And one more thing...IF YOU ARE DRINKING...FORGET ABOUT SWIMMING!....It makes you STUPID AND FOOLHARDY!

montreal
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Escondida / El Convento Beach claims another victim

VOICI un lien où l'On recommande cette plage... lorsque l'on demande sur google "Best snorkeling in puerto rico" on arrive là!!

montrealgazette.com/travel/…

montreal
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Escondida / El Convento Beach claims another victim

en fait, je veux dire de se méfier... c,est recommandé à trop d'endroits!!!!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Escondida / El Convento Beach claims another victim

This is not a French-speaking forum.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Escondida / El Convento Beach claims another victim

This is what the Canadian person posted in French:

HERE is a link which recommends this beach ... when asked to google "Best snorkeling in puerto rico" we get this link ...

In fact, I wish to alert as this beach is is recommended in too many places!!

San Juan
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Escondida / El Convento Beach claims another victim

I can understand French. He didn’t mean any harm.

But I do have Swimming and Life Saving merit badges when I was in the Boy Scouts and I’m also licensed in CPR. I‘ve also been a bodyboarder for over 12 years. I can tell you lots of beaches are the same. They can get currents or whirlpools out of the blue. Unless you’re an experienced swimmer or know what thw hwll you’re doing do not stray far from the shore.

Edited: 15 November 2012, 17:19
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Escondida / El Convento Beach claims another victim

This is so sad. This is why I din't bother to jump at Playa Colora, but as mentioned here, sunbath, and pictures taken is the best you can get out this two beaches.

This brings me another question. How safe are those Kayaking tours that includes Playa Escondida or Playa Colora, are they safe with their tour guides?