We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fajardo/Las Casitas, 7/5 yr old, Groceries, tours, car

Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fajardo/Las Casitas, 7/5 yr old, Groceries, tours, car

Hi! We are a family of four staying at Las Casitas in April for 4 days (plus our two travel days). We have airport transports included in our package.

1. Car/Restaurants: Once we are there, will we need a car or are the restaurants in the immediate area, walking distance good, coupled with the resort restaurant? I think generally we will relax by the pool, palomino and coqui water park. We won't go to El Yunque bc I'm a little concerned about mosquitos. Anywhere else to venture to?

2. Bio Bay: Is it glowing or not? Any good tours with kids our age? One tour operator said kids under 6 yr old were not allowed on the kayaks? And we'd want to do the sunset tour (not one starting at 8pm) so would it be worth it?

3. Groceries: Is there a reliable delivery service so that everything will be there when we arrive? Or a recommended local grocery store? Would we have to take a cab?

4. Anything you wish you'd known before going there?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,235 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fajardo/Las Casitas, 7/5 yr old, Groceries, tours, car

You need a car, unless you are ok paying for taxi or spending $$$ on resort food.

There are no mosquitos in the rainforest (no standing water).

No delivery of groceries. Renting a car is the way to go.

There is an electric boat tour of the biobay.

Edited: 27 February 2017, 20:28
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fajardo/Las Casitas, 7/5 yr old, Groceries, tours, car

Which car rental company would you recommend ?

Avis was mentioned on another forum, as was Priceline. Bc our transport to and from sju is included I'm looking for a local fajardo shop and bonus points if they drop off and pick up at las casitas. Thanks!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,235 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fajardo/Las Casitas, 7/5 yr old, Groceries, tours, car

If you want that level of service, then the only choice is the car rental desk at the hotel. I think they use Enterprise.

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
158 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fajardo/Las Casitas, 7/5 yr old, Groceries, tours, car

Since you already have a ride to and from the hotel I recommend renting from the Enterprise at the resort. Parking is free if you rent from there and you don't have to rent a car the days your laying on the island or exploring the resort. Los Crobas is a short walk from the ferry dock and offers many food options and the casual dining options at the resort aren't to expensive. Last year we went and dispite recommendations didn't rent a car, There is a Walmart on the drive from the airport and the shuttle driver honored our request to make a stop for some drinks and snacks. You will love the island. The hotel offered a Biobay tour for $68 pp.

Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fajardo/Las Casitas, 7/5 yr old, Groceries, tours, car

Heidi P,

Did you take the resort shuttle from SJU? I'd assumed that there would be others on the shuttle so stopping would be out of the question. Did you just get lucky that there was no one else or are the shuttles private?

Is there anything I need to bring to make day trips to Palomino successful. Looks like they have food/drink service. There are floats for rent or simply for use? I assume there are bathrooms? And it looks like we can go on hikes and there might also be pony rides. Is this right? Thanks so much. I truly appreciate it.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fajardo/Las Casitas, 7/5 yr old, Groceries, tours, car

- Do you have to bring money/credit cards to Palomino or can you charge to a Casita?

- to get to Las Croabas, we walk to ElCon, take the funicular down to the marina and walk up the street along the coast? (I've read that Kasavista there is good) And it's safe?

- Do you only get a gold cart for the walk to ElCon if you have a 2br villa? (we have a 1 br)

- If we don't rent a car, can we still walk or take cabs to some of the recommended restaurants (La Estacion, Calizo, Ksavista, etc).

Thanks so much

Mentioned in this post
Kasavista
Kasavista
1,027 Reviews
Puerto Rico
La Estacion
La Estacion
1,903 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Calizo Seafood Restaurant
Calizo Seafood Restaurant
851 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
158 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fajardo/Las Casitas, 7/5 yr old, Groceries, tours, car

We took the resort shuttle, the other people on it actually requested stopping at Walmart, the driver asked if we minded stopping, we agreed so me made the stop. Palomino Island has horseback riding, jetskies, huge floats and a restaurant all of those cost extra. There are clean restrooms and lots of paths to hike I believe there were sand toys but I'm honestly not sure if the hotel provided them or a guest was sharing them. There are chickens, birds, lizards and a cat on the island as well as ocean treasures like shells and coral to collect on the shore. You cannot use cash on the island, you just use a card they give you. You can use the card instead of money throughout the resort but the island only accepts the card. Las Croabas is safe but there are no streetlights so the walk is dark in the evening. To get there just turn left at the ferry dock through a gate and past another hotel it's probably a quarter mile from the dock. We didn't use a golf cart but we don't have mobility issues and enjoy walking around. Cabs are not offered in the area to get anywhere outside the resort and Las Croabas you will need to rent a car.

Mentioned in this post
Palomino Island
Palomino Island
618 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fajardo/Las Casitas, 7/5 yr old, Groceries, tours, car

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Is there Uber?

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
158 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fajardo/Las Casitas, 7/5 yr old, Groceries, tours, car

People on here keep saying Uber doesn't go there but Uber's map says they do. Uber wasn't in Puerto Rico when I was there so I'm not sure.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,235 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fajardo/Las Casitas, 7/5 yr old, Groceries, tours, car

Uber goes to Fajardo from SJ but cannot pick up in Fajardo

Mentioned in this post