We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nothing to do ?

Which Bel Ombre hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dunbar, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Nothing to do ?

Hi just booked the Heritage Awali and im now a bit worried incase there is nothing to do as its seems quite remote. Booked due to great reviews plus beaches in that area seem to be much better than in the North . we like to go out and about and like to do a few excursions, love what the Hotel has to offer but maybe the location is going to be a problem. Please help as i have booked to celebrate our 30th anniversary year. Are there any small villages or towns nearby where we could explore and have a meal and a drink at ? Any help would be very much appreciated. We like to interact with locals and eat and drink whee they do.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
17,569 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nothing to do ?

No towns nearby and the Awali is rather remote like a lot of hotels, but that's part of the charm. I'm sure you've seen what's available at the hotel and there's lots to keep you occupied.

Heritage Awali situated in the south of the island is a good starting point for seeing the sights of Mauritius, particularly those south of Port Louis, whether it be by hire car, organised trip or by taxi and driver for the day.

The beach will be good as many are in Mauritius, but the best beaches are in the east, miles of beach and hotels but again not much to do if you are looking for anything more.

Mazza :-)

Edited: 30 October 2011, 19:23
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
1,604 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nothing to do ?

You can hire a car, book a tour or consider negotiating a rate and hire a taxi driver for the day to take you to the tourist sites.

North Wales
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nothing to do ?

I have read that there are small villages near by I was thinking the same all the attraction that swayed you to book this fab hotel was the same with us, we go Jan 28 for 2 weeks, when are you going

regards

B

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
17,569 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nothing to do ?

Very often small villages mean just that, purely residential with little or nothing in the way of shops/restaurants etc. for the tourist.

You will have a great holiday at the Awali I am sure.

Mazza :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
726 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nothing to do ?

Hi, there's loads of villages nearby but they are local residential and not touristy, which I love.

The attractions are all located around 25 mins drive away from the resort chamarel, the sacred lake, black river national park.

Also the domaine de bel ombre has a national park called frederica and we took part in a camel jeep tour of the park 5 mins from the hotel and explored the waterfalls and wildlife of the national park. We saw the deer and green parrots. The scenery is stunning! If you haven't got enough choice of restaurants with the 11 in offer at the resort and are wanting to walk out to shops bars and restaurants you need to be in the north of the island staying at merville beach, veranda grande baie, the royal palm etc.... But having done the north the south is so much more beautiful and scenic.

Hire a car to explore and you can always drive up to the north it's approx 1 hour 30 depending on traffic in port Louis.

6. Re: Nothing to do ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Bel Ombre
Recent Conversations