We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone and RV driving

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
Yellowstone and RV driving
Save

Questions about RV's. As we visit GTNP and Yellowstone, can we get to our destination in the RV. For example is horseback riding can we just take the RV and park it, or do i still need a car??

Thanks

R.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
45,276 posts
551 reviews
176 helpful votes
1. Re: Yellowstone and RV driving
Save

Ok- I will give you my take on YNP and RV's. My parents RVed all over the country touring many national parks for over 20 years but the one place they always flew and drove in was YNP. If you are not used to driving a large RV in the park then you have to be very worried about just driving and you miss all the things to see. Yes it will save you money but everytime you want to do something you have to move the RV. We do a lot of driving when we visit YNP because we like to see various sunrise and sunset views and wildlife. Just my take on Rving. Enjoy your trip.

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
17,320 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Yellowstone and RV driving
Save

How big is your RV? While there are many RVs of all sizes in Yellowstone Park they do have some unique challenges. Most of the roads are very narrow with no shoulders whatsoever. While there are occassional pullouts for slower traffic there are a lot hills and curvy roads to maneuver. There are RV designated parking spots at major attractions but at the smaller ones it is very tight. Forget about pulling to the side of the road if there is a "animal jam".

If you have a large RV, I would highly recommend either towing your car or renting one to drive around inside the park. It will make your sightseeing a lot easier and more enjoyable. That being said.....many, many people get up and go with their RV from place to place and have no problem with it. I guess you need to do what you're comfortable with and is reasonable for you.

I'm looking for a smaller motorhome to buy this summer just to make life more convenient for my many trips into Yellowstone and the areas around it. I will probably tow my car for trips into Yellowstone just because a car is just easier to get around quickly in, especially for wildlife viewing. But if I go camping where I know I'll be just in one or two spots I won't pull the car.

In conclusion, if the only way you can visit Yellowstone Park is by a RV without a car then I would take that over not going at all.

Deb

Edited: 12 years ago
Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
7,320 posts
93 reviews
121 helpful votes
3. Re: Yellowstone and RV driving
Save

http://www.rvcruzer.com/ystonervroutes.php

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Yellowstone and RV driving
Save

Hey CeCeDouglasVille,

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of figure that was going to be the answer.

My biggest concern is that there's restrictions in the park as far as where I can park it to be able to do the activities.

Yukon, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
79 posts
164 reviews
87 helpful votes
5. Re: Yellowstone and RV driving
Save

There is RV Parking at every visitor center and attraction. However, many of the unexpected attractions - animals, waterfalls, etc are spur of the moment. With no shoulder area, you won't be able to stop, but if you just want to go from major attraction area to the other, you'll be fine! We towed a 30' in no problem. You just have to go slow around, up, and down.

6. Re: Yellowstone and RV driving

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.