We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent Weather - Advice needed!

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
157 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Recent Weather - Advice needed!

Hi

I leave to go to Hawaii next Tuesday 13 March. I've been checking the weather and it has lots of cloud, rain and thunder storms with max temps of around 23 degress celsius.

Is this a true reflection of the weather at the moment? If so, will I need jeans and winter clothes - 23 degrees celsius in Australia is very cool and I would not wear summer clothes in this weather. I'm not sure if I should be packing my togs and shorts and dresses or if I'll be cold!

Some advice on the true state of the weather from some locals would be great!!

Thanks

Mel

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent Weather - Advice needed!

Hey Mel,

We're staying at Waikiki at the moment (arrived 1st March). To be honest so far I'm pretty disappointed with the weather here. There has been a couple of warmish days (definitely not what I would consider hot) but at times it is overcast and there has been some light rain which doesn't last long. Plenty of people still swimming at the beach though but way too cold for me to get in the water. Don't think I'll be coming home with a tan! Just pack your regular summer clothing. You won't need to bring jeans but definitely bring a cardigan cause you may need it in the evening when it can get quite windy and cool.

Hope you have a fantastic holiday.

Kym

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent Weather - Advice needed!

The last couple of days it's been raining heavily on the windward side and interior parts of Oahu. Cloudy but little rain in Waikiki.

This morning it's been raining heavily all over the island with thunderstorms. This is what happens in Hawaii in the winter months. Flash flood warnings throughout the island. High temp. on Oahu yesterday was 77 degrees.

What will next week bring? Who knows, weather can't be accurately forecast that far out. I'm hoping this is the last big storm we get for awhile as I have guests coming in next week too!!

Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent Weather - Advice needed!

We normally go in December and have never needed to wear jeans while there. We always wear jeans and light jackets for the plane ride, though.

We prepare for the rain since it is the rainy season, but this past winter Honolulu was more windy than rainy, something I didn't anticipate...but I take it any day over snow.

23C is cool? It has been hovering at around 0C here and I saw someone wearing a tank top outside yesterday. I guess Canadians are made of "tough stuff"?

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent Weather - Advice needed!

I would most definitely NOT bring winter clothes. Just whatever you wear over on the plane ride (as mentioned above) would be fine if you hit some cooler weather. I never wear jeans in Hawaii myself. suze

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent Weather - Advice needed!

Good question and I go with the commenters above who are HERE NOW!!!

We have been here since Thursday and I've worn my sweatshirt every day. We have been out and about and it has been cold and rainy and (a couple of times) we've gotten soaked to the skin ---- that's through a sweatshirt and a polar fleece jacket, by the way.

Last night, it rained heavily and there was thunder and lightning much of the night and early morning hours. It's raining pretty good right now ---- thus, we aren't even going out for breakfast. I usually consider myself a very prepared traveler but the main thing we missed bringing was an umbrella (rain type, not beach type).

When we arrived on Thursday early afternoon, it rained lightly in the shuttle coming over to the Waikiki Beach Walk area. No big deal. Enough sun that day and the next (with some overcast and brewing clouds).

We haven't seen the sun in two days. Got slightly soaked yesterday standing at the bus stop leaving the Bishop Museum. Got thoroughly soaked last night leaving the restaurant on Kalakaua, to see the fireworks at 8:30pm. Got soaked on Friday night also, out on a catamaran along the shoreline, watching the HHV fireworks.

This is my 7th trip to Hawaii (4th to Oahu) and I've never seen anything like it. Light sprinkles, yes, but this is enough to keep us inside today ---- celebrating our 15th anniversary. I don't really mind getting soaked ---- it's just that it is cold and there is so much water on the sidewalks that it's slippery out there. Catching cold and slipping and falling is something I'd like to avoid. Even the rain panchos we bought won't take care of that.

Met a man from Boston at the top of the Aloha Tower a couple of days back who said March is the rainy month so that's why the weather was behaving like this. Is that true? Never been here in March.

Bottom-line ---- it is cold and wet here now (it was warmer in California when we left), at the corner of Kalia and Lewers --- where we are staying. Yes, the reports are true. It's wetter on Kauai though.....we're watching the news. But ---- maybe tomorrow will bring some much needed sun?? Who knows, with the world weather these days?

I'd say (luck of the draw?) that the weather will be much nicer mid-month. Just guessing.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,805 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent Weather - Advice needed!

I often wear a sweater and long pants in Hawaii in the winter. In fact, I'm wearing a sweater right now. I think 23c is cool too! It depends on your personal tolerance, but if you're from a warm weather climate and easily get cold, as I do, while I wouldn't be busting out the parka, I'd bring a pair or two of long pants, a couple sweaters, and a light rain jacket.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
157 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent Weather - Advice needed!

I thought March was Spring! Everyone said March was better than Feb and I've been in October and Jan also (being Autumn and Winter) and found the weather to be hot!

Well I depart in a week and I'm there for 2 weeks, so I'm hoping I get some sun! Surely it would be unusual for it to rain 3 weeks straight!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent Weather - Advice needed!

Mel,

I'm no expert on Hawaii but have been here in January and November in the past (plus some other months which are normally warm, like April and June and September, etc.) and I planned this trip a year in advance so it's not been what we expected. March sounded like Spring to me. It is in California.

However --- we all know the weather is unpredictable these days (understatement) many places so I just chalk it up to that. Wish I'd brought an umbrella though. I always do that when traveling to Puerto Vallarta (my favorite tropical place) but missed it coming here. Everything is so expensive here that I don't feel like buying an umbrella. Wishing for SUN tomorrow.

BTW ---- here's an assessment of the last few days. I call it "the surfer count:"

First couple of days, in the medium-wide slice of ocean I can see from between the Sheraton Waikiki and the Halekulani on the 20th floor here (in the late morning) --- about 40-50+ out there. Yesterday (overcast but not raining) --- about 25. This morning (same time...around 10am after a long night of rain and thunder and lightning) ---- ONE. Yes, one stalwart surfer was out there. Kudos to whoever that is and I hope they made it back to shor safely.

Happy travels.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent Weather - Advice needed!

Ooops --- missed my edit window.

After quickly re-reading posts, it seems like "wearing jeans" is part of the question.

Yes, we're both still wearing our jeans that we wore on the plane. Mr. Marly is wearing his long jeans (too cold for shorts) and I'm wearing mine which go half way down the calf.

What we're finding on this trip is that we keep wearing the clothes we wore on the airplane (the jeans and the sweatshirt/polar fleece) when we got on the shuttle at 5:15am in San Francisco. It's was cold and rainy then, but generally warmer/drier during the day than it's been here the past two days.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
157 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent Weather - Advice needed!

Ok, I've just looked at the weather again and it looks like the rain is clearing from tomorrow and next week will be fine! Now I know the weather forecast means nothing (last weekend in Brisbane it was meant to be sunny and hot all weekend, so I saved up my washing to do over the weekend - it poured rain the entire weekend, Monday and Tuesday), but at least seeing some sunny days for next week has cheered me up!

3 days of work left and I'm dying. Why is it that the days leading up to holidays seems to go forever!

Last trip to Hawaii (2008) we got engaged at sunset on the beach in front of the Moana Surfrider, needless to say Hawaii is now one of my fav places!

Come on Tuesday!