We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - Foreclosure Sale 2/15/2012

Tacoma, Washington
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - Foreclosure Sale 2/15/2012

Aloha, I write this from our room at MBC in Ko Olina. We had originally booked at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel for this week, but I read the forums here about beach closures, and re-booked here just in time to change hotels.

Now I sit here and read in my morning paper that the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel is being sold in a foreclosure auction on 2/15/2012. I have no idea how this will effect any travel plans, but wanted to be sure and let you all know! This notice is on page B6 of the Star-Advertiser, 2/7/2012.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - Foreclosure Sale 2/15/2012

Hmmmm, interesting. Wonder how that happened, it always seems so popular and packed with guests.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - Foreclosure Sale 2/15/2012

This happens a lot, Turtle Bay and the Grand Wailea just went thru the same thing. The person that owns the hotel is different than the company that runs the hotel, so usuallly it means nothing to the traveler,

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
68 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - Foreclosure Sale 2/15/2012

Well, I have the Aston Waikiki Beach Tower (not hotel) booked for September. Although different, I will keep looking - just in case.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,468 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - Foreclosure Sale 2/15/2012

Alphonse...

The Waikiki Beach Tower is a condominium complex with each of the units being individually-owned.

Aston is just the primary manager of the vacation rental "pool" of the project.

Unlike the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, which is owned by a single entity who got over-extended on their debt and is subject to foreclosure, the Beach Tower cannot be subject to such action.

Guests at the hotel should not be affected whatsoever by the change in ownership.

In fact, the future reservations create revenues the propsective bidders will be counting on.

In the end, expect a bank to end up with it for now. It is unlikely anyone will bid enough to cover the debt.

Edited: 08 February 2012, 20:02
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - Foreclosure Sale 2/15/2012

That looks like a nice hotel. But not cheap.

If there'll be change of ownership and therefore some sales for Aug. 20-25, then I'll be interested.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - Foreclosure Sale 2/15/2012

<,It is unlikely anyone will bid enough to cover the debt.>>

Well,. maybe if we ALL put our money together, we can.....

Nah, forget it. It was just a thought.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - Foreclosure Sale 2/15/2012

I will probably get zinged for this, but if you noticed, banks make horrible large investments and make it up with fees on their average customer, it is the new way of banking. When I was a kid you got your 4% passbok and the banks were solid as a rock.

Edited: 08 February 2012, 20:46
Bendigo
Level Contributor
901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - Foreclosure Sale 2/15/2012

Heartened to read your comments Amberloo - guests should not be affected. We are booked for a return visit May 2nd for 2 weeks - like the hotel, love the position, enjoy the breakfast, love the views.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,020 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - Foreclosure Sale 2/15/2012

Check out this article from 2005:

Went through a foreclosure auction in 2001.

16 month renovation & named Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel in 2002.

…honoluluadvertiser.com/article/…bz10p.html

london
Level Contributor
36 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - Foreclosure Sale 2/15/2012

I was also thinking of booking a room here for 2weeks in April however I do not want to go ahead and book if it is likely to be closed or changed. When will we know if it is safe to book and go ahead with this without it affecting our holiday??