We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dramamine

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Dramamine

Sorry, I know this is a random question....! I get really bad motion sickness either on water or in a coach. Dramamine sometimes works for me (although it's kind of hit and miss) but I just wondered firstly whether anyone knows anything better and secondly, if not, the best place to buy it (as we can't get it in the UK). I found the pharmacy on Kuhio quite expensive, but luckily bought most of it at LAX last time. Just wondered whether I should do the same, or whether there is somewhere cheaper in Waikiki to buy it. Thanks in advance! :)

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dramamine

Acupressure Bracelets are popular and you may want to try them in conjunction with the brand name Dramamine.

Acupressure bracelets are extremely effective for preventing motion sickness. You can pick up these bracelets at most drugstores and they are fairly inexpensive.

According to one Dr. "Simply put the bands on both wrists before you expect the motion sickness to begin. The wristbands have a button on them that hits your pressure point and relieves the nausea. It really is impressive how instantaneously and effectively these wristbands work at preventing motion sickness."

Good luck with your motion sickness.

Fairfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
207 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dramamine

I have recent first hand experience using the "seabands" which is the accupuncture bracelet thing you wear on your wrist. Had a bad case of nausea and within 20 minutes all better. I also tried the ginger gum and it too helped.

Albany, Oregon
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dramamine

I am also very motion sickness sensitive and can't take Dramamine because it knocks me out. I'm not sea sick...I'm asleep, so I guess it works but not the way I want it to. I tried the wrist bands and all they did was give me a bruise on my wrist. I use ginger pills and they do help some, but I still get a bit woozy depending on how bad the motion is. (I think I am just cursed.) You may just have to try multiple remedies and find what works best for you. Good luck!!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dramamine

If you want to have dramamine with out the cost, there are generics. Walgreens has "Wal-Dram" that is a generic. I'll bet Long's Drug also has one. Chuck...

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dramamine

Try Bonine instead. It works for me without the sleepiness of Dramamine. All products are better if you take them before you feel ill. Start the night before a boat trip, etc and then take another one in the morning. Once you're sick it's too late!

If your really bothered, you can see a doctor and get a patch which you where all the times and it slowly releases the medication. Very few people feel ill wearing that but some people have side effects.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,826 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dramamine

Aloha,

Try Bonine instead of Dramamine. I recced it for years when in tourism, still do here. It doesn't tend to make people as dopey as even the "less drowsy" Dramamine.

Another tip-take a dose the night before as well as one the morning of a trip. This way, you have some built up in your system.

I'd try to give it--or any med---a test run before visiting. I'm not saying go out and rent a boat or something, but just to pick up the small blister pack or smallest box you can, take the rec. dose one afternoon or evening-see how you do. If it knocks you out, well..bummer but you don't end up sleeping through a trip!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,826 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dramamine

Aloha,

Too funny......MyHorse and I were typing away at the same time-so I guess this means one does have to go to the animals for the best advice, LOL!

(Nick the Wonder Dog)

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dramamine

Actually Bonine and "less drowsy" Dramamine are the same thing. They both have the active ingredient of Meclizine 25 mg. The "original" Dramamine has as its active ingreditent Dimenhydrinate 50 mg. Both of these brand names are also available as generic options often called "motion sickness" pills or something similar, and these are equally effective. Most people find the Dimenhydrinate to be more effective than Meclizine, but it is also more sedating. Some people also get drowsy with with Meclizine. The OTC version of Meclizine is labeled to be taken 1 pill per day. If it is prescribed by a doctor it can be dosed as much as 1 pill every 6 hours, but that will result in more sedation.

Probably the best medicine for motion sickness is only available by prescription from your doctor - Transderm Scop patches. The active ingredient is Scopolamine. This is only effective if the patch is placed behind the ear several hours before your activity. It also can have side effects.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,826 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dramamine

Aloha,

Great info DrV!! I think someone told me they were the same thing once-but I know people who can do Bonine and not the LD Dramamine. Could it be in the manufacturing/formula process that one works and one doesn't?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dramamine

It's the placebo effect. You expect it not to make you drowsy so it doesn't. Chuck...