We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phones

danioy
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
mobile phones

What is the best way to phone Australia while i'm in Hawaii? International rome on my mobile? Or can i get a pre pay card in Hawaii and use it to ring home? If so where do i get it and can i use it on a normal mobile? Thanks.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile phones

Hi Mate

Here is a few suggestions , Pickup a prepaid sim off ebay, I will send you a private message with a few other cheap suggestions!

JOhn

danioy
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile phones

Thanks. How do i get my private messages?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile phones

click on your profile and it should tell you there is a message!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobile phones

Make sure you have a quad band mobile phone otherwise inserting a SIM won't work. On our last trip we just ended up buying a cheap phone with SIM included. The phone has made about 8 crossings of the Pacific since with other friends using it on their trips to the US.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mobile phones

The ABC Stores in Hawaii sell pre-paid phone cards which you can use for International calls. You can use these from any public pay-phone or hotel rooms. Some hotels may charge you a local connection fe (usually about $1).

Using your mobile from Hawaii to Australia will cost a fair bit of money.

If your home phone is with Telstra, you could also apply for a Telstra Telecard. This allows you to bill the calls you make back to your home phone account. The Telecard can also be used at public pay-phones & hotels.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
131 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mobile phones

When I was last in Honolulu I had my mobile set on international roaming. I used it everyday to call home and texted home 3 - 4 messages a day.

My bill was no more than $70 for a 2 week period, which I thought was pretty good considering how much I used it. I was using the Optus network.

If you plan on calling home allot you could look at a prepaid phone card from ABC stores. A $20 card with give you probably 2 calls home, being approx. 20 minutes call each.

The mobile worked out cheaper and more convenient.

Great Dunmow...
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: mobile phones

Just make sure if u get a pre pay sim you phone is unlocked for any network!

8. Re: mobile phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 14:22