We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phones

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
danioy
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
mobile phones

What is the best way to phone Australia while i'm in Hawaii? International rome on my mobile? Or can i get a pre pay card in Hawaii and use it to ring home? If so where do i get it and can i use it on a normal mobile? Thanks.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
987 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile phones

Hi Mate

Here is a few suggestions , Pickup a prepaid sim off ebay, I will send you a private message with a few other cheap suggestions!

JOhn

danioy
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile phones

Thanks. How do i get my private messages?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
987 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile phones

click on your profile and it should tell you there is a message!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
156 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobile phones

Make sure you have a quad band mobile phone otherwise inserting a SIM won't work. On our last trip we just ended up buying a cheap phone with SIM included. The phone has made about 8 crossings of the Pacific since with other friends using it on their trips to the US.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mobile phones

The ABC Stores in Hawaii sell pre-paid phone cards which you can use for International calls. You can use these from any public pay-phone or hotel rooms. Some hotels may charge you a local connection fe (usually about $1).

Using your mobile from Hawaii to Australia will cost a fair bit of money.

If your home phone is with Telstra, you could also apply for a Telstra Telecard. This allows you to bill the calls you make back to your home phone account. The Telecard can also be used at public pay-phones & hotels.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
131 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mobile phones

When I was last in Honolulu I had my mobile set on international roaming. I used it everyday to call home and texted home 3 - 4 messages a day.

My bill was no more than $70 for a 2 week period, which I thought was pretty good considering how much I used it. I was using the Optus network.

If you plan on calling home allot you could look at a prepaid phone card from ABC stores. A $20 card with give you probably 2 calls home, being approx. 20 minutes call each.

The mobile worked out cheaper and more convenient.

Great Dunmow...
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: mobile phones

Just make sure if u get a pre pay sim you phone is unlocked for any network!

8. Re: mobile phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 14:22