We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

URGENT: Choice of 4 properties - what would be the hot pick!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
URGENT: Choice of 4 properties - what would be the hot pick!

Hi everyone

In my previous post, I asked for recommendations for our last night in Hawaii (Friday 28 March) and the end of our US Trip - the Hilton HV was recommended.

My travel agent has now given me 4 to choose from and now I am confused

The choices are:

Moana Surfrider - a Westin Resort

Sheraton Waikiki Hotel

Hilton Hawaiian Villiage Resort

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

What would be the HOT pick! I want to come away feeling WOW....

We are travelling with our 10 month old baby.

I need to make a decision today, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: URGENT: Choice of 4 properties - what would be the hot pick!

Hilton Hawaiian Village I believe gets the best reviews - and it really gives you a completely Hawaiian feeling when you arrive.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,453 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: URGENT: Choice of 4 properties - what would be the hot pick!

Hilton Hawaiian Village.

On Friday nights they have a free Polynesian show & fireworks after.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,913 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: URGENT: Choice of 4 properties - what would be the hot pick!

Well, I don't know what your standards are, but coming from Australia, I suspect you aren't going to find any of them "WOW" hotels. The best hotel on Oahu is not on your list: the Halekulani. A lovely property with very nice rooms, great food, nice pool. It's pretty much the only place I would choose to stay in Waikiki.

The Surfrider would be my very distant second choice. It has a very historic feel, but unfortunately the food is not very good and the rooms vary widely depending on category. Service is pretty good.

The Hilton is OK, but it's a fairly corporate hotel, nice grounds and pool, rooms are fairly spacious and modern.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: URGENT: Choice of 4 properties - what would be the hot pick!

Myself, I would choose the Moana. You will be in the center of the Waikiki hub-bub. The Moana is right on the beach. Well the Sheraton and HHV are also. I just prefer the location of the Moana. It is an historic hotel. Don't worry too much about their food. You can always go next door to the Outrigger and go to Duke's or the Hula Grill(in the Outrigger). There is also the Cheesecake Factory a couple doors from the Moana.

Check out the Honolulu Coffee Company in the Moana if you'd like to purchase coffee to take home. They have a wonderful selection!

Have a wonderful trip!

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: URGENT: Choice of 4 properties - what would be the hot pick!

As Im sure you know, the unique magic of Hawaii is the reason to come here. I'm afraid you wont find an authentic experience at the Hilton, it's sort of a canned version, complete with flamingos and penguins on display (neither of which are Hawaiian animals). It definitely has a certain Disneyland style of appeal and charm though. Depends on what you're looking for, we all have our own tastes. With those four choices, the Moana Surfrider will give you the most authentic "wow" and would be my choice. Have fun! Aloha.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: URGENT: Choice of 4 properties - what would be the hot pick!

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Before I discovered this site, I had booked our first 2 nights of our holiday at the Ala Moana - fingers crossed that its ok.

We stayed at the Westin Maui for our Honeymoon nearly 11 years ago and were very impressed by the grounds more so than the rooms.

We generally stay at 3 1/2 star properties here in Australia and thought it would be a nice treat ourselves to somewhere nice in Hawaii for our last night.

The Halekulani looks absoloutey FABULOUS but at $586.42 pn, its a little out of my budget.

Looks like the Moana Surfrider is getting more votes that the Hilton HV.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: URGENT: Choice of 4 properties - what would be the hot pick!

I love the Sheraton's!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,698 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: URGENT: Choice of 4 properties - what would be the hot pick!

The Halekulani IS fabulous, go by for a drink at the House Without a Key.

But as to where to stay..... the only two I would even consider are the Hilton Hawaiian and the Moana Surfrider and of these two The Moana is far superior. The Hilton has great grounds, but no character or charm. The Moana is a classic and has just undergone a major renovation and is a better location.

Lubbock, TX
Level Contributor
725 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: URGENT: Choice of 4 properties - what would be the hot pick!

Another vote for the Moana. Character, charm, location. The Sheraton is huge and impersonal, like a business hotel. The Princess Kaiulani is at least one class below the others mentioned and is the only one not on the beach. The HHV is fine, actually great for kids, but out of the way of many of the things you might want to do in Waikiki. If you are looking for an Oahu hotel with a Hawaiian feel, the Moana Surfrider is great. A popular location for weddings, it also has a great outdoors bar.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: URGENT: Choice of 4 properties - what would be the hot pick!

We stayed at Sheraton Waikiki during Christmas, it was our first stay there and while it is a nice hotel it is a BIG hotel.

If I had to choose out of your 4 listed hotels for a special end to a holiday I would pick Westin Moana Surfrider. It is a beautiful historic hotel, in fantastic location right on the beachfront. You can step right outside to Kalakaua Ave for shops & restaurants and step right onto the beach from the back door.

The HHV is also nice but it is at the far end of Waikiki strip, probably a 15-20 min walk to main Waikiki tourist area (shops, restaurants, IMP etc).

Go with the Moana Surfrider, Im sure you will love it :-)