We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mansion tour/s for family of 4?

Iowa
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mansion tour/s for family of 4?

What mansion tour/s would you recommend for families with tween kids? Coming to Newport for 2 days during the week. It will be me, my husband and our kids - ages 11 and 13. Would like to tour 1 mansion, maybe 2 if the kids are interested. They have good attention spans and like to learn about new things. Any thoughts on what tour would be best? From the forums, I've read that the Rough Point guided tour is good, and maybe the Servants Tour at the Elms.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Rough Point
Rough Point
481 Reviews
Newport, RI
5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mansion tour/s for family of 4?

Rough Point is unique in that the home is truly as she left it, you can even see the dog house with dog blankets outside, and the grounds have the most sweeping ocean view of all the mansions, great gardens. For young people, I would say the best thing about the mansions might be exploring the grounds, the Elms also has one of the best for exploring.

Mentioned in this post
Rough Point
Rough Point
481 Reviews
Newport, RI
The Elms
The Elms
1,605 Reviews
Newport, RI
Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mansion tour/s for family of 4?

The tours at Fort Adams are very good and your kids may enjoy that. In addition, you'll get awesome views of Narragansett Bay and the entrance to Newport harbor

Mentioned in this post
Narragansett
Narragansett
South County, RI
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Newport Harbor Hotel...
1,481 Reviews
Newport, RI
Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
8 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mansion tour/s for family of 4?

There is a Children's Cottage on the grounds of the Breakers, which is a small house that was built to scale for children, which little kids might find interesting. Marble House also has an authentic Chinese Tea House that is unusual. If the kids are very small, consider Green Animals in Portsmouth (which like the mansions is run by the Newport Preservation Society), which is an animal-themed topiary garden.

Mentioned in this post
Marble House
Marble House
1,467 Reviews
Newport, RI
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
The Newport Inn
The Newport Inn
15 Reviews
Newport, RI
Newark, New Jersey
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mansion tour/s for family of 4?

I had the same question

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mansion tour/s for family of 4?

If you are going to tour only one mansion you must go to the Breakers! It is the biggest and the most extravagant. You will be amazed and in complete awe! Rough Point is a cool house as it is the most recent/lived in type house. It is in a beautiful location. We did the cliff walk and toured Rough Point when we were done. I've gone to almost all of the mansions in Newport and they are all a little different. The best part about the Elms is if you do the Servants Tour. It is fascinating to see how they hid the servants from their guests, and well as how everything functioned in the house. You won't regret touring any of the mansions. Just make sure you do the Breakers last.

Mentioned in this post
The Breakers
The Breakers
4,964 Reviews
Newport, RI
Rough Point
Rough Point
481 Reviews
Newport, RI
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
The Elms
The Elms
1,605 Reviews
Newport, RI
Reply to: Mansion tour/s for family of 4?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newport