We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara Falls- Express Version?

Which Buffalo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Niagara Falls- Express Version?

My family and I will be stopping in Buffalo overnight at the beginning of June. We don't have a lot of time, and I was wondering if there's any way to see Niagara Falls by car in under two hours so we could see it in the morning before we leave. All we want to do is get a quick look at it, take some pictures, and move on. Is this feasible? And if so, how?

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara Falls- Express Version?

Where will you be staying in Buffalo? (Some people refer to the towns south of the city as "Buffalo.") If you are actually staying in the city, you shouldn't have any trouble getting to the falls, taking some pictures, and heading off again. Most of your time will involve driving from Buffalo to Niagara Falls; it takes about half an hour. You will not have time to drive over the border to see what I think is the more scenic perspective in Niagara Falls, Ontario, so plan to stay on the New York side.

As you head north from Buffalo, you'll cross over a bridge onto Grand Island (there's a toll; I think it's $1, and you don't pay on the way back). Then you'll cross a second bridge (no toll) when you get off Grand Island and head into the city of Niagara Falls. Signs will direct you to the falls. Bear left on the Robert Moses Parkway, with the river on your left, until you see the signs for parking.

Have fun!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara Falls- Express Version?

Buffalo and Niagara Falls are only 20-25 minutes apart by highway.

East Aurora, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Niagara Falls- Express Version?

I think you may benefit from further information regarding the New York vs. the Canadian sides of the Falls. If your only objective is to get the absolute best quick view of the falls from street level, go to the Canadian side which has the best view of the Horseshoe Falls and also has a full view of the American Falls (but you will have to factor in time to get over the Rainbow Bridge to Canada and park which can be significant on summer weekends). If you find yourself with more than an hour to spend, either or both sides may appeal to you. The Canadian side is very commercial, filled with hotels, limited parking and fairly expensive attractions nearly right up to the waterfront. There are nice gardens along the walkway in the summer but it's not a natural setting. On the American side (a NY State Park), the natural surroundings around the falls are intact. I highly recommend a walk on the NY side next to the Niagara River, over Goat Island and towards the Falls. It's a gorgeous and dramatic back-to-nature experience. Both sides have opportunities to see the Falls from much closer than a street level perspective (from tour boats or wooden walkways which approach the base of the falls) and I highly recommend those if you can spare a few more hours. Looking up from the base of the falls is an experience like none other.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,609 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Niagara Falls- Express Version?

Everyone over 16 requires a passport, passport card or enhanced driver's license to cross the border. Under 16 just need birth certificates.

5. Re: Niagara Falls- Express Version?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:16