We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is it to travel around Niagara Falls, NY?

Ewa Beach, Hawaii
1 post
1 review
How safe is it to travel around Niagara Falls, NY?

We are going to Toronto in October 2018 and will be staying a few days in Niagara Falls. We would like to take a day trip to Niagara Fall, NY to shop and dine in the area. Aside from the Fashion Outlets at Niagara Fall, the main places we wanted to go to are Kohl's, Trader Joe's and Olive Garden. I found all three in Amherst. Is this area easy to get to from Niagara Falls, NY? If so, it is safe for tourists to travel in this area? Are there areas nearby to avoid? Thank you!

13 replies to this topic
West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,053 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: How safe is it to travel around Niagara Falls, NY?

I would suggest reading these comments from tourists visiting Niagara Falls NY, last fall.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154998…

Best Regards

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
10,178 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: How safe is it to travel around Niagara Falls, NY?

You'll be driving (I assume) in very busy, commercial areas of Niagara Falls and North Buffalo for those places, which are all on or near Niagara Falls Blvd. (Rte 62). Nothing to worry about.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
3. Re: How safe is it to travel around Niagara Falls, NY?

The area around the falls is definitely safe. The areas that are bad are well away and you are not just going to randomly walk into them.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: How safe is it to travel around Niagara Falls, NY?

You can drive right down Niagara Falls Boulevard to get to these destinations.

One suggestion - if you are looking for Italian there are a lot of great places rather than Olive Garden.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: How safe is it to travel around Niagara Falls, NY?

The Canadian side is more commercial and safe. The USA side is rugged with less facilities.

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
6. Re: How safe is it to travel around Niagara Falls, NY?

I would stop at Niagara Falls Canada for better views of the Falls and if you want to see the Falls from the American side just stay close to the Falls where it's safe. There is nothing to see on the American side of the Falls besides the waterfalls. Amherst is a suburb of Buffalo and is very safe and about 25 minutes from Niagara Falls. There are much more interesting things to do and see in the Buffalo area than Kohls, Trader Joes and Olive Garden but if that's what you're interested in you'll find them all within a short drive of each other. You can visit all three in just about any US city.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
261 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: How safe is it to travel around Niagara Falls, NY?

Amherst is easy to get to from the falls and a very safe area. Not sure that Kohl's and Trader Joe's are my idea of an exciting vacation - but everyone has different preferences!

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
199 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: How safe is it to travel around Niagara Falls, NY?

The tourist areas around the falls are safe. You didn't mention where you are staying - I presume at one of the hotels on either side of the borders?

Yes, Trader Joe's, Kohl's and Olive Garden that you mentioned are all near each other in the Town of Amherst located outside of Buffalo. It is about a 45 minute drive from the New York side of the falls. These stores are located in a very safe area.

Personally, I see no reason to go to there. If you are going to the Fashion Outlets, there is an Olive Garden located next to that mall. Kohl's is a discount department store, and once you see the variety of stores that are located at the Fashion Outlets, I think that you will be pleasantly surprised. Trader Joe's is a fun grocery store to visit, but it is small and has limited offerings. Just across from the Fashion Outlet Mall is a Wegmans Grocery store. If you have never visited this chain of supermarkets, it is an amazing experience.

There are many fine restaurants to visit in the Niagara Falls area. Olive Garden is excellent, but personally, I like to avoid chains when travelling. This is just my opinion.

Buffalo, New York
1 post
9. Re: How safe is it to travel around Niagara Falls, NY?

I live in Buffalo, and I am fine. You'll be very very safe when you pass by and travel. You have literally nothing to worry about.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
134 reviews
10. Re: How safe is it to travel around Niagara Falls, NY?

I was stationd at Schofield for four years and understand why you want to go to those places and everyone is offering some good advice. I have to agree with stanlymaxwell about Wegmans. I’ve never been to Trafer Joes but I think you’ll like how Wegmans does grocery.

If you have time I would also suggest some local foods worth the time. Beef on weck-not your average roast beef sandwich. Hoffman or Sahlens hot dogs and sausages. Wings of course which you’ll want from a local place. I suggest Duff’s or the Anchor Bar which are the some of the best and if for no other reason than bragging rights but I doubt you’ll go wrong in most other cases.

Reply to: How safe is it to travel around Niagara Falls, NY?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted