We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport question for Canada

Houston
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Passport question for Canada

We are visiting family and would like to travel into Canada to see Niagra Falls. I have a passport but my 8 year old son does not. Will he need one to get into the Canadian side of the Falls?

10 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13,593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport question for Canada

I believe that for a young child an original certified US birth certificate may be sufficient. If only one parent is present they will also need a notarized letter from the other parent giving approval to leave the country with the child.

2. Re: Passport question for Canada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 October 2017, 23:35
Edited: 08 October 2017, 23:35

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport question for Canada

Reference link....it should answer all of your questions.

Just an FYI......the documentation requirements to enter Canada are slightly different than the requirements fo you to re-enter the USA. Take note.

ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experien…

Edited: 08 October 2017, 20:44
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,667 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport question for Canada

Hi Eric;

While such a question may be a rarity for the Washington DC forum, it is quite common for the Niagara Region forums - on both sides of the border.

For those of us who live near the border, the answer is common knowledge. Official links can be easily found on this and other forums for this region.

Best Regards

Edited: 08 October 2017, 23:21
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
16,402 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport question for Canada

RT - As a regular visitor on the upstate NY forums surely you are aware there are some regulars who dispense inaccurate information that a traveler should not rely upon without independent verification.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,667 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport question for Canada

Hi Kaye;

Certainly, all users should double and even triple check information posted anywhere on the WWW...not just TA.

However, the sarcasm in reply #2 ("I believe that water runs uphill"...or words to that effect) were really uncalled for, even if meant "tongue in cheek".

Best Regards

DC
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport question for Canada

There's a difference between an answer based on actual knowledge vs. one based on "I believe." It would be better if people who can only offer an "I believe" answer would defer to others who can provide actual help.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,667 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport question for Canada

Perhaps the respondent shouldn't have opened with "I believe", but the information that followed was 100% correct.

Best Regards

Houston
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport question for Canada

Wow-did not mean to cause people to get upset with my post!

I am aware of crossing the border to Canada and coming back as I grew up with visiting family in upstate NY and have been to the falls on both sides around 20 times and we did not carry a passport as a child and as an adult visiting after I was 18.

I know things have changed since then and I wanted our child to experience the falls. We do not have tons of time to get a passport together as this is a trip planned around an aunts memorial service in mid November.

We will just stick to the American side and he can still see the falls at least.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,667 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport question for Canada

Hi abbygail;

From your own government's website.

"Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship."

https:/…canada.html