We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip out of Buffalo?

denver
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Road trip out of Buffalo?

Planning a 4-6 day girls' road trip. We want to fly into Buffalo so we can see Niagara Falls (Canadian side) and then fly out of another city (maybe Albany) several days later. We are very open to route suggestions. Have read/heard good things about Letchworth State Park and Watkins Glen and Hudson River Valley area. Any thoughts?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,421 posts
208 reviews
1. Re: Road trip out of Buffalo?

Finger Lakes region is beautiful and should not be missed.

Letchworth and Watkins Glen State Parks are great and well worth seeing. Corning Glass Museum, wineries and Ithaca and its state parks (Taughannock Falls, Buttermilk Falls and Robert Treman) and weekend farmers market are among other worthwhile endeavors along with any of the lakes.

I am not a fan of Watkins Glen village and would not recommend staying there. Head to Ithaca or Corning.

Other towns worth considering for overnights if you want something smaller are Hammondsport, Penn Yan or Naples.

The Hudson Valley is also a great region. Many pleasant towns, historic mansions, museums, Bear Mountains and Minnwaska State Parks and of course the river are some draws. I like Rhinebeck and Cold Spring the best town-wise. Many people like Hudson. Newburgh should be avoided.

Have a great trip!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,915 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Road trip out of Buffalo?

What about staying in Canada? NIagara on the Lake, mOntreal, Quebec City.

denver
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
3. Re: Road trip out of Buffalo?

Love Montreal and Quebec City but have been there so looking to see/experience something new.

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,075 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: Road trip out of Buffalo?

How about Toronto, Canada's largest city ?

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Road trip out of Buffalo?

Hi oldhide,

I agree that Letchworth State Park is a great destination as well as the Finger Lakes. One route along I-90 east from Buffalo includes Montezuma Ntl. Wildlife Refuge https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

outside of Seneca Falls.

In Senecas Falls is the Ntl. Women's Hall of Fame, as well as the Women's Rights National Park. There is a small museum open very limited hours called It's a Wonderful Life Museum, inspired by the movie of the same title that was inspired by the town of Seneca Falls! If you're a fan you must seek out the bridge in town that looks just like the bridge in the movie.

Continue the drive through Auburn NY (has a great little diner for lunch) on your way to Skaneateles, New York. Set on a picturesque Finger Lake of the same name [pr. skin-ee-AT-liss], Skaneateles is as Norman Rockwell a town as I can imagine. If you go in nice weather, you might be able to take a boat ride on the lake. (You didn't mention what month you're planning the trip).

Continuing onto route I-81, I would head toward Binghamton, New York - with gorgeous hills and valleys, and then onto I-86 and Route 17 to the Hudson Valley.

For other ideas, TA has a forum dedicated to Road Trips: https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html You can post your question there or search for similar road trips.

Bon voyage!

-Dee

denver
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
6. Re: Road trip out of Buffalo?

Thank you! This is exactly the help we needed. FYI...will be traveling end of October through first week of November hoping for some lingering fall color.

denver
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
7. Re: Road trip out of Buffalo?

Thank you for the great feedback.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
85 posts
8. Re: Road trip out of Buffalo?

Hi Oldhide!

After departing Niagara Falls, I would suggest the Canandaigua Lake area (off the NYS Thruway about an hour and a half East of Buffalo) for home base for a couple or 3 days.

Shops, Boutiques, Restaurants, Museums, Antique Stores, Wine & NY Culinary Center, Wineries, Lakefront, Hiking, Waterfalls...and more! Accommodations: http://thequietplace.com/

Nearby activities & points of interest: thequietplace.com/finger-lakes-attactions.ht…

Then easing down the road (NYS Thruway AKA 90) heading East to the Hudson Valley...flying out of Albany from there.

Happy Trails!

Edited: 09 October 2017, 20:01
denver
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
9. Re: Road trip out of Buffalo?

Great suggestion! Thanks!

10. Re: Road trip out of Buffalo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2018, 05:19