We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for week family vaca

Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
Ideas for week family vaca
Save

So this summer we have 4 children 2 adults coming to the area for a week, staying in Rileyville. Looking for ideas of things to do. So far I have hiking, going to hawksbill Rec Center, Kayaking, Luray caverns, the zoo, horseback riding. What other gems are there? Kids 5-13.

6 replies to this topic
Province of...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
30,943 posts
283 reviews
206 helpful votes
1. Re: Ideas for week family vaca
Save

Shenandoah River State Park will tick your boxes

https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/shenandoah-river

Click amenities

Not a fan of Luray cavens, read reviews.

Recommend Grottos Grand Cavens

US
Level Contributor
9,756 posts
2. Re: Ideas for week family vaca
Save

Double check that things will be open. And now that could change any time based on case spikes.

US
Level Contributor
9,756 posts
3. Re: Ideas for week family vaca
Save

VA is currently in stage 3 reopening. Masks are required indoors and there are various capacity limits https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc12.com/2020/07/01/virginia-is-now-phase-three-gov-northams-reopening-plan-here-are-guidelines/%3foutputType=amp

Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Ideas for week family vaca
Save

Thank you!

Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Ideas for week family vaca
Save

Thank you!

Luray, Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
67 reviews
32 helpful votes
6. Re: Ideas for week family vaca
Save

Even with COVID, most local businesses are open. You may run into delays or limited capacity at some select locations, but in general, you should be OK.

Story Book trail is an excellent quick hike that will be minutes away from your location. Most kids enjoy this and there are paved roads always up to the parking area. This little gem is often overlooked and you usually never see more than 5-10 cars at the parking lot.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60964-d3459635-Reviews-Massanutten_Storybook_Trail-Luray_Virginia.html

My family loves going to the caves. Each Cave is totally unique and has its own pros and cons. Luray Caverns are the most popular, but there are a lot of other caves in the area that are worth looking into. Skyline, Shenandoah, Endless, and Grand Caverns are all excellent options.

I would HIGHLY recommend floating or tubing the Shenandoah River. There are a lot of companies that rent equipment and have shuttle services in the area. Shenandoah River Outfitters and Down River Canoe company are two of the popular ones.

If you looking for some tasty food, that’s not mainstream, then I HIGHLY recommend Bens Family Cuisines. Very limited parking upfront, but there is a lot of street parking and a rear parking lot.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g57755-d8064837-Reviews-Ben_s_Family_Cuisines-Front_Royal_Virginia.html

If you’re looking for something different to eat, I recommend trying Main Street Deli and Gathering Grounds in Luray. Due to COVID, both restaurants have changed a lot of policies, but they are opening and serving. If you looking for something inside, I recommend trying Rancho’s Mexican Restaurant.

If you like bakery-style foods, then you will enjoy Baby Moons (50’s style décor) or Main Street Bakery. Both offer fresh options that are good for the road.

If you grew up watching Dukes of Hazzard, then you will want to stop in and check out Cooters in Luray. They play country music every Saturday and Bluegrass music on Sundays. Normally the music is inside, but due to COVID, they are doing free drive up concerts. Music is usually around 1-4pm. Check their website for more info.

Luray does not have a swimming pool, but Stanley has the Hawksbill Recreational Park and New Market has a nice pool/park.

If your looking to do a little shopping and like to look at local crafts, I recommend stopping by Hawksbill Trading Post and Massanutten Country Corner. Both places offer lots of local goods and crafts. Both places also sell local garden foods, meats, and canned goods.

New Market is a short ride across the mountain and they have a lot to offer for a small town. Lots of small stores and street shops. If you are in town, I recommend stopping by John Henrys Country Store for some fresh goods or stop by Southern Kitchen for some home cooking in a neat building with vintage décor.

Sperryville is a very small town, but also has a few neat stores worth visiting. They have an EXCELLENT coffee roaster (http://www.centralcoffeeroasters.com/) that is open on the weekends. They also have a few nice restaurants. I personally enjoy Rappahannock Pizza Company for a nice meal. Burgers N Things is also a great place to get ice cream and enjoy it along the creek. The ride from Sperryville to Luray/Rileyville area is lovely.

Have fun, there is a lot of things to do in the area and you can easily social distance yourself.

Edited: 17 July 2020, 16:22
Reply to: Ideas for week family vaca
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Luray
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.