We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for couples

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Ideas for couples
Save

Hi. My husband and I are visiting the area for a long weekend this month, to celebrate our anniversary. (Actually Staying in Stanley, VA- but I think that is close to Luray?)

Any suggestions on sites to see, things to do, restaurants to try out?

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
158 reviews
163 helpful votes
1. Re: Ideas for couples
Save

Stanley VA to Luray VA is 8 or 9 miles

I'm sure you'll see the famous Luray Caverns

Ask your hotel front desk for other sites and restaurant suggestions

Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
158 reviews
163 helpful votes
2. Re: Ideas for couples
Save

If you tap on Luray Virginia anywhere it is highlighted in blue...that is a hyper link.

Once you open that link there is a tab to choose called : "Restaurants"

There is also a "Things To Do" Tab

Have fun!

Virginia
Level Contributor
146 posts
110 reviews
30 helpful votes
3. Re: Ideas for couples
Save

Stanley is a town where if you blink, you'll drive through it ;) I am sort of kidding but there isn't much there.

For Luray, there is a place called West Main Street Market right on the main strip. It's delicious food -- very casual, so perfect for lunch. For dinner, you can go to the Mimslyn Inn restaurant (use the side entrance to the hotel). Their food is decent.

"To do" -- definitely the Caverns. Between the museum next door and the Caverns themselves, that can easily be a half day to day long outing. In Luray itself, there isn't much else to do beyond the Caverns and the main downtown street area....but there is plenty of mountain activities/hiking/walking trails within reasonable driving distance. Enjoy being unplugged a bit and happy Anniversary!

Edited: 1 year ago
Province of...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
30,943 posts
283 reviews
206 helpful votes
4. Re: Ideas for couples
Save

Luray caverns very touristy.. Consider Grand Caverns Grottos / Weyers cave

https://www.grandcaverns.com/tablet/index.html

Reply to: Ideas for couples
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Luray
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.