We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spring weekend getaway

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
spring weekend getaway

Trying to plan a couples weekend getaway in the spring,probably April. Considering Shadow Mountain Escape cabins, although I don't think they have a hot tub, Lydia Mountain cabins and possibly Brookside Cabins. Looking for your thoughts\ recommendations or other suggestions.

We would like to hike, possibly golf, go out for dinner and shop and explore.

Are these in a central location to SNP?

a

I appreciate any help you can provide.

6 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
21,852 posts
290 reviews
1. Re: spring weekend getaway

Greetings airstrip,

> . We would like to hike, possibly golf, go out for dinner and shop and explore. <<

First off..The areas are not known for being a shopping mecca..One of your locales has a walmart near by...If you are looking to golf & shop (?) you might look at Massanutten resorts...Hiking...I suggest you look at staying in the Park, maybe Syria or Madison...

Something to consider is April weather... It could be clear, (certainly won't be balmy in the higher elevations), cloudy, drizzle, rain, snow, fog & a bit of all..

Kesh_grammy

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
2. Re: spring weekend getaway

I've stayed in Lydia Mt cabins and they're very nice and well-equipped. It's probably still a good 30-40 min to the nearest trailhead in SNP, but it's a nice location if you're looking to get away from it all. But for shopping no, and golf is probably close to an hour away (maybe near Ruckersville?). It's way easier to eat in than to try to find any restaurants near there, and then have to drive back up that mountain in total darkness.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: spring weekend getaway

Food for thought.

You might consider doing shopping and restaurants in Charlottesville. Accommodations you could look at are, for one idea, in a gorgeous setting with luxe accommodations, Clifton Inn.

Or go through www.vaguesthouses.com for a great descriptive list with good pix to choose log cabins, cottages, carriage house, small historic homes and stately homes or apartments.

Or www.sugarhallow.com not far from Charlottesville in Crozet, toward the mountains. It offers another wonderful natural setting and either luxurious inn accommodations or rooms in their 1905 farmhouse.

From those two you can enjoy Charlottesville's shops, restaurants and wine tours if you're interested. And then go up on the Blue Ride Parkway.

How about Lexington, Va. We really enjoy it. Haven't had the chance to go in a while and looking forward to our next trip. Enjoyed the shops and restaurants. Friends have liked the cabins north of there...Wind Mile Cabins and Amanda's Cabins and Willow Haven.

Some wonderful historic homes there for a drive around town. Enjoyed Southern Inn, Blue Sky Cafe among many other restaurants and a couple of dessert places.

You'll see the mountains on your way to these cities and can further explore them during your stay as well. You might look up a few inns in Lexington: www.steelestavern.com has what they call Hideaway Cabins as well as their Inn rooms. Sugar Tree offers Main Lodge and Cabin choices. And the views are terrific from www.brierleyhill.com.

Edited: 31 December 2016, 07:31
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: spring weekend getaway

Thank you guys, for some great information. I think, in my mind, Luray and the the potential cabin stays, were in an area like Winchester, nearer to shops and restaurants. Although we like the idea of a few

nights away in a cabin,it might be too secluded.

Charlottesville is a definite possibility. My only concern is the travel time for a brief, 2 night stay. Its about 6 hour drive.

I'll continue my research and probably have more questions. Again, many thanks for some good ideas.

Happy New Year!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: spring weekend getaway

just now researching steeles tavern - cabins look awesome!! Thank you, explorer3, for the great suggestion!!

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
6. Re: spring weekend getaway

I've stayed in a cabin at Steeles Tavern also, which was very nice. Only about a 20 minute or so ride from Lexington, and about 30 from Staunton, another very nice town with plenty to do.

Reply to: spring weekend getaway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted