We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport from Logan airport to Red Roof Inn Saugus

Wheaton, Illinois
1 post
Public transport from Logan airport to Red Roof Inn Saugus

I am going to the Boston area and have booked a hotel at Suagus. Google directions indicate taking buses and then walking about 22 minutes (not a problem) but I am unsure of whether it is all highway in the area or not. I believe there is a Holiday in at Saugus which I think has a shuttle from the airport, but don't know if I can pay them to at least get me to the Holiday Inn and find other transport from there. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
1. Re: Public transport from Logan airport to Red Roof Inn Saugus

Hi,

I think you made a bad decision booking a hotel that doesn't provide shuttle service when you don't have a car. Red Roof Saugus is a hotel for those with wheels.

I don't know what to tell you, but I would like to ask why you didn't just book the Holiday Inn WITH shuttle service? Was it price alone? Will it be worth the incredible aggravation and inconvienence you will experience if you stick with the Red Roof?

As far as I can tell, there is nothing besides a cab that will get you anywhere near the hotel. Route 1 is a highway and not somewhere you would want to be spending lots of time walking down. What do you plan on doing once you get to the hotel? How do you plan to get around?

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
183 reviews
2. Re: Public transport from Logan airport to Red Roof Inn Saugus

I agree that you have a difficult task ahead of you. Route 1 is a divided highway, and a very busy one. The stretch in Saugus is almost entirely commercial so cars are entering and exiting store parking lots all along the way. However, there are sidewalks, but pedestrians are a pretty rare sight given the dangerous conditions. The Holiday Inn, which does have a shuttle, is located almost directly across the street from Red Roof, but of course, you won't be able to cross the highway on foot and will have loop around at Main Street to get back on the northbound side unless you can arrange a special stop. Travel by bus will also require walking on the highway. I'd urge you to take a cab or book another hotel if possible.

Edited: 12 August 2010, 00:20
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,602 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Public transport from Logan airport to Red Roof Inn Saugus

Look at www.mbta.com and use the trip planner.

If you put "airport station" as your starting point and "920 broadway saugus, ma" as your ending point, you'll see it's a somewhat convoluted, time consuming trip. You go into Boston on the Blue Line, ot to Malden on the Orange Line and then to Saugus via bus. Click on the "interactive map" and zoom into the area at the bus stop.

You'll see that once you get off the bus and the majority of your walk is along busy Rte 1. Not pleasant, and, in my opinion, dangerous ... the posted speed limit on that road is 50mph but when there's no traffic, people drive much faster than that and pull into business or onto off-ramps at a high rate of speed ... and as others have pointed out, you'd be walking past all of those.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
4. Re: Public transport from Logan airport to Red Roof Inn Saugus

I recently took the T to a destination on Rt 1 in Saugus (which is the same road you're talking about) and it was an enormous pain in the a**, and I say this as someone without a car who pretty much takes public transportation exclusively. There are sidewalks, but you're walking along a highway that is essentially one giant strip mall, with cars turning into parking lots, who are definitely not on the lookout for pedestrians. I would pony up for a cab for this one or look into some sort of shuttle.

5. Re: Public transport from Logan airport to Red Roof Inn Saugus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2011, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Saugus