We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spa Day Decision -- Ojo Calliente or Ten Thousand Waves

VENUS
Level Contributor
48 posts
27 reviews
Spa Day Decision -- Ojo Calliente or Ten Thousand Waves

I am treating myself to a soak in celebration of my birthday while staying in Santa Fe. Both Ojo Calliente and Ten Thousand Waves have been recommended, and I am having a tough time deciding. Any advice?

This will be a solo experience, and I like quiet, peaceful, relaxation.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Spa Day Decision -- Ojo Calliente or Ten Thousand Waves

I have been to both - many times - and much prefer 10.000 Waves.

They are rather different. 10,000 is definitely more "upscale". It is also more massage oriented, although both places have private and public hot tubs. In fact Ojo has more hot tubs, where 10,000 has only one (large) one.

Ojo had always been "funky" and tried to upgrade a few years ago. It looks nicer now, but when I went last month I found "something" off, Maybe its that its less "private", people are noisier, children are allowed. It had more the flavor of a large swim club than a "spa." On the positive side, it is larger. has many different and "real" pools (10,000 is piped in warmed water, not natural) and has many hammocks and rest areas. They also have "blanket wraps" for an inexpensive and relaxing treatment.

10,000 has a truly relaxing Japanese atmosphere, no kids, and is only 10 min. from downtown SF while Ojo is over an hour away.

Given that you want "peace and quiet" do 10,000. And get a massage there. I recently has a wonderful massage from Midori -maybe you can ask for her.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Spa Day Decision -- Ojo Calliente or Ten Thousand Waves

PS: You might want a private tub at 10,000 waves, or look into a package - private tub, massage, etc. They also often have "monthly specials on website and or Facebook page.

tenthousandwaves.com/RATES/packages_specials…

Although if you book a massage (even the lower fees) you can use the public tub for free.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Spa Day Decision -- Ojo Calliente or Ten Thousand Waves

Oh and Happy Birthday

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
112 reviews
4. Re: Spa Day Decision -- Ojo Calliente or Ten Thousand Waves

Any thoughts on how the hotels in Truth or Consequences compare to Ojo Caliente and Ten Thousand Waves? Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Spa Day Decision -- Ojo Calliente or Ten Thousand Waves

I haven't been in years, but T or Q was never a "luxury" spot. Not by a long shot. Super Funky.

Aurora, Illinois
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Santa Fe, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
159 reviews
6. Re: Spa Day Decision -- Ojo Calliente or Ten Thousand Waves

Hi lliniTrav

First, I should mention that I'm a huge fan of Ten Thousand Waves. I have had private soaks there many times. I've also partaken of some of the massage packages as well. (The Natural is my favorite.) NYNM and CasaAzul were the ones who first encouraged me to try them out a couple years ago.

So with all that in mind I'll mention that on my recent trip in August in NM, I spent a night at Riverbend Hot Springs in T or C. It's also now on my list of places to repeat in NM.

http://riverbendhotsprings.com/

Note that T or C did NOT impress me at all as a town and NYNM is right that the vibe of the town is not luxury and more funky, kind of run down funky. Riverbend use to contribute to that when it was a hostel.

However, it has been upgrading its property quite significantly and you can see a number of photos on their website of the place both outside and in the rooms. They are representative. I stayed in a Courtyard Room and would do so again.

Included in an overnight stay is free access to the public pools which overlook the Rio Grande. There are five of them and they are fairly small, each only holding 2-3 people. The mineral water moves through them so that you have 5 different temps to choose from.

The outside area by the pools has a number of nice loungers, chairs and tables. While I was there, they were putting the finishing touches on a fire pit under a gazebo behind the pool area.

There are three private pools that overlook the Rio Grande as well. Discounted rates for overnight guests. I especially enjoyed Rio (the hottest one) under the starry sky.

So what's the difference? Ten Thousand Waves is definitely the higher quality with its range of baths and spa services. You can be truly pampered there. It's possible to extend your time by resting in the relaxation room, by the waterfall area or in the communal tubs (1 coed and 1 for women). Riverbend Hot Springs would have more a "lounging by the pool" type feel. This would be the place I would go to just lay around, do some soaking, some reading, some more laying around. In the future I would probably stay for two nights for maximum relaxation. (With T or C not offering much at all, relaxing is all that's left!)

I haven't been to Ojo Caliente (yet) so I can't compare there.

Keith

Edited: 09 October 2012, 04:43
Aurora, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
159 reviews
7. Re: Spa Day Decision -- Ojo Calliente or Ten Thousand Waves

Hello AtlantaWanderlust

If you end up choosing to go for a package at Ten Thousand Waves which includes a private soak, I'd just like to mention that you can both upgrade to a Premium Bath as well as increase the time from 55 minutes to 85 minutes. When I've done The Natural package this is exactly what I've done...upgraded to Shoji and made it 85 minutes. They simply add the differential in cost had you been booking the baths.

Wherever you end up, enjoy!

Keith

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
8. Re: Spa Day Decision -- Ojo Calliente or Ten Thousand Waves

There's another nice option: Giggling Springs in Jemez Springs. (about 1 hr from Santa Fe to the East.) It's a fairly large handmade rock private hot tub right next to (you can almost touch it) the Jemez River. There are no massages just soaking. You must wear a bathing suit (not necessary and even uncommon at 10, 000 Waves) but it is really a nice intimate setting. It is outdoors among gardens rather than a "facility." If all you want it a nice soak I recommend it. there is also a "bath house" in Jemez Springs, but Gigging Springs is much nicer.

http://www.gigglingsprings.com

Not sure what this means tho, for sale: hope it still open

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ_3ylCJ0Os

VENUS
Level Contributor
48 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Spa Day Decision -- Ojo Calliente or Ten Thousand Waves

Thank you all for the excellent information. I think I shall go with the Ten Thousand Waves. The deciding factor for me was "children allowed" and "large swim club" at O.C. That is definitely NOT the ambiance I was hoping for, so I will try Ten Thousand Waves instead.

I have visited the Shoji Spa in Asheville, NC several times and always enjoyed the Japanese atmosphere, and this one sounds similar. I was just considering the Ojo Callientes because someone recommended it as being "magical." .

Thanks again so much!!

Aurora, Illinois
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
159 reviews
10. Re: Spa Day Decision -- Ojo Calliente or Ten Thousand Waves

NYNM - Giggling Springs is still open. I also visited there on my August trip. While they are looking to sell, they are definitely running the place as they always have. Still a good option.

Keith