We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Directions from Grand Canyon to Santa Fe

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
310 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Directions from Grand Canyon to Santa Fe

We are leaving the south rim and driving to Santa Fe. Can any locals out there recommend the best route? Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Directions from Grand Canyon to Santa Fe

Leave from the east gate toward US 89 and Cameron, head south to around the mall, and take the right exit to continue on US 89 and go south to I-40. Turn left on I-40 east toward Albuquerque. Follow I-40 to I-25 north, then take US 285/St Francis in.

There's really not a very good scenic route. Lots of stuff you could do on the way in though: Petrified Forest, Wupatki, Walnut Canyon, Acoma Pueblo.

Mentioned in this post
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Hotel St. Francis
Hotel St. Francis
1,215 Reviews
Santa Fe, NM
Pueblo
Pueblo
Colorado
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Directions from Grand Canyon to Santa Fe

I would only add you may also want to take the side trip from US89 below Cameron through Wapatki & Sunset Crater Volcano National Monuements.

That is a long, day's drive...if you stop to see some of the sites such as Meteor Crater; or Petrified Forest National Park & Painted Desert; or the "Sky City" of ancient Acoma Pueblo, perched atop a high mesa west of Albuquerque.

It might be easier to take a day and a half. Stay overnight in Albuquerque, and pay a visit to our historic, Old Town area, just off I-40 on Rio Grande Blvd. in the morning. Enjoy your visit to the Southwest!

Mentioned in this post
Pueblo
Pueblo
Colorado
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,153 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Directions from Grand Canyon to Santa Fe

If you want a different experience, from South Rim GC, go out the east entrance, then north to Tuba City. From there take Hwy 264 to the Hopi Mesas. www.hopiculturalcenter.com . After a visit there go to Ganado, see Hubbell Trading Post http://www.nps.gov/hutr/index.htm

From Ganado to Window Rock, capital of the Navajo nation, and on to Gallup where you can pick up I40 into Abq.

Mentioned in this post
Gallup
Gallup
New Mexico
4. Re: Directions from Grand Canyon to Santa Fe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 06:19