We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Santa Fe

baton rouge, la
5 posts
1 review
Driving to Santa Fe

We are driving from Albuerque to Sante Fe, is there anything to see on our way to Sante Fe? When in Sante Fe, where should we stay to get the best deal for our money. We will be there Sept. 17th-20th. We have two days to explore Sante Fe, what should be do?

Thanks, howdy 71

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,292 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: Driving to Santa Fe

It would probably be best to go straight there.

If not, you can take the scenic route via the "Turquoise Trail." To get there, you head east on I-40 from Albuquerque and exit Highway 14 north. You can take a side trip up to Sandia Peak. Madrid (artist community) and Cerrillos (old mining town) are along the route.

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Driving to Santa Fe

Hi, howdy71, its Sant-a Fe, not Sant-e Fe, and there is SO much to do, it just depends on your interests. Yes, if you arrive before dark, drive up the Turquoise Trail along the back side of the mtns to get here, the mining towns are fun. You might want to spend Friday exploring Santa Fe, the Plaza and especially Museum Hill for the Folk Art Museum and its fab collection & Wheelwright Museum for their Native collection and the very cool Case Trading Post (squeakiest floors in town), actually all of the spots on Museum Hill if you can tolerate that much museum-ing. Galleries will have openings on Friday nights, also fun. Do save time Friday night for the O'Keeffe musuem, it's free from 5-8pm and the current show is lovely. If you want to take a drive that day rather than staying in town all day, consider Bandelier to see the Anasazi ruins,not too far away for an afternoon. Save Saturday morning for the Farmers' Market, and after that maybe do the High Road to Taos Studio Tour, it's the first weekend of that event, and it's a great chance to meet the artists and buy art without the gallery fees, plus you get to see the artists' studios! And you can end up in Taos that way and see it too, plus the cottonwoods may be changing to their beatiful autumn yellow, so the drive in both directions could be glorious. If the aspens are changing color (we never know when fall will really hit us), squeeze out some time to drive up into the mountains to Aspen Vista - maybe you have time Sunday before you leave? - to see how our autumn colors light up the mtns. And have FUN!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,028 posts
120 reviews
3. Re: Driving to Santa Fe

There are several Pueblo Indian reservations. There's the great scenic vistas of the mesas in the distance - classic New Mexico. Could detour through Corrales to see a portion of the Rio Grande Bosque (woodland area) (really it's just an excuse to see how people in the region have lived for quite some time...)

baton rouge, la
5 posts
1 review
4. Re: Driving to Santa Fe

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complete list of things to do in Santa Fe. We can't wait!!

wandering
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Driving to Santa Fe

also along the lines of detours, if you do have time to stop between Albuquerque & Santa Fe, & want to get some fresh air, I strongly suggest the Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument, Exit 259 off I-25, then follow the signs more info here: blm.gov/nm/…kasha_katuwe_tent_rocks.html

$5 per private vehicle, it's a remarkable place, I read once that it's been a national monument for less than 10 years, & I lived here over a year before I'd even heard of it

but for sure, I hope you get to explore some of Santa Fe, it's quite a place :)

6. Re: Driving to Santa Fe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2010, 05:17