We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No car for Santa Fe,possible?

boston, MA
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
No car for Santa Fe,possible?

we are not plan on renting a car for our coming trip to Santa Fe.Is it possible to enjoy Santa fe without a car?

I keep on hearing comments that you need a car for Santa Fe due to lack of local public transportation and taxi service. But our plan involves a lot relaxing time and may be some light hiking. Is a car absoutely necessarty?

thansk ahead for your suggestion!

NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: No car for Santa Fe,possible?

Yes it's possible but you won't get to see any of the surrounding areas without one altough I guess you could just rent for any day that you might want to do something like Bandelier or such. There used to be an Enterprise at the motel Garretts Desert Inn but not sure it it's still there.

My 2 cents I would rent a car there are so many beautiful places to visit around the area it would be a shame to limit yourself to only the Plaza area. There is a bus that runs to the museums on Museum Hill but not too sure how good the service is around the rest of town

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,238 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: No car for Santa Fe,possible?

Bus service in town is just fine. Will take you most places in town. www.santafenm.gov/index.aspx?nid=498

Taxi service is around, but you do have to call ahead and arrange for them to pick you up.

You will need a car if you want to visit the mountains or Bandelier.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: No car for Santa Fe,possible?

You do not need a car in Santa Fe proper, since the main areas (Plaza, Railyard, Canyon Road, Museum Hill) are compact. You can walk from Plaza to Railyard in 10-15 min., 10 min to Canyon Rd. There are many many things to see, do, eat, buy, etc. there. (as noted Museum Hill is a bit too far to walk but there is a shuttle).

I think it depends on your time available and your interest. I also agree that the beauty of the area, and further, or Northern New Mexico requires a car.

Maybe you can just rent one for a few days (off Cerrillos Road, which is at least cheaper than ABQ airport) Take shuttle up from airport, hang around without a car (stay Downtown) then get a car for trips.

Santa Fe, NM
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: No car for Santa Fe,possible?

it really depends on how long you are staying and what you want to see. if your hotel has a shuttle, you can light-hike at the dale ball trails. if you're content to stay in town and concentrate on museums and good eats, many hotels are within walking distance, although museum hill is not really walking diatnce. bus service is an option, but you'll have to time it properly. only one cab company, sometimes fast, sometimes not. would agree that if you are here for a while, like more than 3 days, you should check into rental cars if your credit card offers you a good rental deal, because you can see northern nm that way too...and it's glorious at this time of year

boston, MA
Level Contributor
107 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: No car for Santa Fe,possible?

Thanks your guys for all the suggestions! we will have in total about 3 days ( excluding travel time) to spent in Santa Fe and we already scheduled about half day in 10,000 waves. After looking at the bus schedule, we probably will not go for a car after all. That will just give us more reason to come back and check out what we haven't seen on this trip!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,238 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: No car for Santa Fe,possible?

Also look into the Railrunner train from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. From the airport in Abq there is a shuttle to the train station.

7. Re: No car for Santa Fe,possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 05:20