We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunrise Springs Resort in Santa Fe is NO resort

Phoenix AZ
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sunrise Springs Resort in Santa Fe is NO resort

We just returned from a quick 4 days in the Santa Fe area and since we travelled ratherly unexpectedly, there were few choices for lodging. We booked 3 nights at Sunrise Springs Resort about 10 miles from the Plaza as it looked reasonably nice on the internet, no negative reports, and we had a car. It was BAD. It's a resort that's struggling to stay in business, even as reported by their own staff. Outside has great potential, but not being maintained at all. Weeds growing up in the patios, balconies badly in need of a paint job, didn't clean the balcony prior to our arrival. Also their "included breakfast" was a plastic bag hung on your door in the morning (in the sun) sometimes with warm yogurt, but usually a horrible looking sweet roll in a cellaphane package (coffee pot in the room) and fruit that looks like it'll be used for the next guest if you don't eat it. There is a restaurant there, but they say it's only used for weddings/retreats (which I can't imagine anyone booking there for the amount of work it would take to record pictures). Our toilet backed up twice. The shower has dark green tiles with black mold all over the grout. Ugh,ugh,ugh. Charged $99/night plus a $4.50 "resort fee." Not sure what that was for. But if it's this place or the Motel 6, which were our options, I'd stay at the Motel 6 in a heartbeat.

BTW, I emailed the resort with a detailed report, heard back from someone who apologized that we didn't like their staff, and said she was forwarding my "complaint" on to the manager, but I never heard anything more.

Atascadero...
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunrise Springs Resort in Santa Fe is NO resort

I would think that a verbatim copy and paste critique in two different threads about this establishment ought to be sufficient to get the point across that you weren't happy about your stay.

The review section could be a more effective venue to voice your concerns if getting the management's attention is your ultimate goal. That's if they even care enough to see what guests think of their stay.

I did notice that out of 24 total reviews the property has received that 8 were only average or worse.

Being a very frequent user of TA reviews to plan my travels, that is a pretty high percentage of negatives and is usually a good indicator of what to expect.

The low price of your stay should also have been a tip off that maybe all was not right at the Inn. For this time of year, $99 isn't much higher than what you'd pay at a very average motel type establishment around here.

Sorry that your little getaway wasn't as pleasant as you hoped for.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunrise Springs Resort in Santa Fe is NO resort

I have visited and stayed at SS a number of times at it is (was) a very lovely place. Nice outdoors space, artificial "lake", arts area with Japanese teahouse, pool area, hot tubs, excellent restaurant, etc. Served more as conference center than a resort.

However, I was out there a few weeks ago and it has gone downhill. Almost deserted. I guess in this economy there is little need for corporate retreat centers. Too bad - it was once very nice : (

3. Re: Sunrise Springs Resort in Santa Fe is NO resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 07:19