We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear on Santa Fe area mid-August vacation?

Chicago suburban...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear on Santa Fe area mid-August vacation?

Hello-My husband and I will be spending 5 days in Santa Fe and a side trip to Taos mid Aug. and I am wondering what to pack. We want to pack lightly, so I don't want to bring several alternatives- I'd rather get it right and wear what I bring. Never having been to SF/Taos, I'm wondering if the dress is casual for almost everything (decent jeans, some shorts for daytime activities). We plan to sightsee, walking tours, like to take in some music, maybe the Chamber Music, wine tasting, dining out, liesurely stuff- we won't be hiking any mountains, but will enjoy the outdoors and scenery as much as possible. Are we good to go with decent jeans by day and nicer jeans and jackets at night for most places such as nicer restaurants, or should we be a bit more upscale in our casual attire for evenings? I would appreciate some specific advice to keep our packing down to what we'll really wear and not have the usual "oh, I packed stuff I won't wear" dilemma! Also, I'm wondering about the rains in August- is it just an hour or so of rain and then back to the low humidity and sunshine, or do we need to prepare for a day or two of downpours?

Thanks so much for the help.

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear on Santa Fe area mid-August vacation?

Hi! Santa Fe is very casual. You can get into even the toniest restaurants with a nice pair of jeans. The weather has been warmer than unsual without our

monsoon rains, so dress for the heat...shorts, light tops, and maybe a sweater or light jacket for the eveing. Good walking shoes and maybe a pair of nice sandals for the evening.

Chicago suburban...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear on Santa Fe area mid-August vacation?

Thank you, Fe- exactly what I needed to know; this helps a lot.

3. Re: What to wear on Santa Fe area mid-August vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 07:19