We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking and Snakes

Midwest
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Hiking and Snakes

My husband and I will be planning a trip to Santa Fe Sept 12 - 16, 2008 and we love to hike and I do not mean downtown, although we will be doing a great share of that also. We would like to explore some of the wilderness hiking trails, BUT, I am extremely afraid of snakes, even if they are not dangerous. What are the chances of us coming upon them? Being from Northern MN we do not have to worry about seeing many. I have only seen one garter this year.

Thanks!

Cheryl

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Hiking and Snakes

I hike the foothills of the Sandia Mountains almost daily here in Albuquerque, and haven't seen a rattler (I presume this is your biggest worry), so far this summer. I saw a total of 2 in all of 2007, and both were hiding in the shade of boulders on hot afternoons. Do your hiking in the early morning hours, as that is when the rattlers are the most lethargic. By nature, they are also very shy. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning in New Mexico, than of being bitten by a rattler. :-)Enjoy your trip to Santa Fe, and don't worry. The few snakes will see you before you see them.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,310 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Hiking and Snakes

I have hiked all over in the mountains, plains and desert near Santa Fe, never seen a snake of any kind!!! Lived here now for close to 14 years!

Chances are you won't see any either. I would be more worried about sunburn, dehydration and possibly other hikers and their loose dogs!!!

Now, here inside my house.... this will probably really creep you out, LOL .... a bull snake was on my desk near my monitor!!! The dogs had pushed the screen door open during the night and I think mr/mrs bull snake thought my monitor was warm!!!!

Enjoy your visit and do not worry about snakes.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
921 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Hiking and Snakes

I also am an avid hiker here in New Mexico. If I ever saw one, you would hear me screaming all the way to MN!

I have never been a snake on a hiking trail. Enjoy!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
921 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Hiking and Snakes

Well its true I've never been a snake but I meant seen!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
42 posts
5. Re: Hiking and Snakes

I have never seen a snake in NM other than tiny garden snakes and I have lived here my whole life. Oh and I do a lot of hiking too.

I wouldn't let it worry you too much, just keep an eye out.

Midwest
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Hiking and Snakes

Thank you everyone! I feel much better about it now, except for the bull snake story. How did you get it out of your house? I assume they are harmless. I appreciate everyone's comments.

Take care,

Cheryl

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,310 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: Hiking and Snakes

The bull snake is harmless, actually good to have around, gets mice! We left the door open and the snake left after a little while with a little encouragement! It was a big unnerving, but it was just a little one.

Santa Fe
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Hiking and Snakes

the last snake sighting I had - were two of the harmless variety - one at Marty Sanchez golf course and one at Cochiti golf course. Guess they like the greens too!

United States
Level Contributor
89 posts
378 reviews
9. Re: Hiking and Snakes

I've lived in NM my entire life. I hike and mountain bike and have only seen one molted skin of a long-gone snake on the trails. The snakes DO tend to hang out at golf courses, because they feed on the other creatures who feed on the grass of the fairways. They are more afraid of you than you will be of them...hike away!

Dallas
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Hiking and Snakes

I have hiked the mountains near Santa Fe for well over 10 years. In all that time, I had never seen a snake either.....until yesterday. On the Aspen Vista trail, I nearly stepped on an 18 inch long brown snake. I have no idea what it was, but I am certain it was not a rattler. I have always rejoiced in the fact that one would not encounter a snake in the mountains of Santa Fe. Guess those blissful days are gone.