We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Friday Harbor with an Infant

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Friday Harbor with an Infant

Hi there!

My husband, mother-in-law and my almost 3 month infant are traveling to Friday Harbor next Wednesday. We are planning to drive from Seattle to Anacortes (an hour and a half drive) and take the ferry to Friday Harbor, our final destination. We are leaving on a weekday, however since we have an infant, I was wondering how early we should plan to get to the ferry prior to the departure time? We planned to take the 2:40 pm ferry, but I wonder if the wait is less on the 9:30 am ferry?

Also, does it get pretty cold/windy during the day to walk around parks, etc for an infant? Do I need a rain jacket for the baby?

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Friday Harbor
Friday Harbor
San Juan Island, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Anacortes
Anacortes
Fidalgo Island, WA
San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Friday Harbor with an Infant

Yes, your wait any day of the week will be less under normal circumstances if you take an morning ferry over an afternoon ferry. The San Juan ferries have lots of room for walk-on passengers but the space for cars in limited to under 150 per vessel. The busy times for the ferry as I always say here are Friday afternoons and evenings heading to the islands and Sunday afternoons leaving the islands. On other days and times the wait can and often is greatly reduced. If you can catch one of the first two ships leaving in the day from Anacortes your wait time will decrease a lot. To play it safe it's always best to arrive at least an hour in advance at the Anacortes terminal. Later in the day during the summer expect the wait time to lengthen and on weekends can double or even more. Much information in detail about the Anacortes ferry terminal and how to get to the ferry landing in Anacortes if you have a car as well as webcams showing you the current car holding lot (and a nice new feature which shows the actual amount of spaces left per vessel sailing for vehicles )is at: …wa.gov/ferries/… At the Anacortes ferry landing you'll find enough to do around the rurally located terminal while you wait for your ferry. Grassy trails lead down to the nearby beach and through the shoreline wetlands. You can get something at the small gift shop, buy drinks and snacks, walk your dog in the dog-walk area and on the beach, relax at a picnic table, or go online using the terminal's wireless Internet service (which has a fee).

The San Juans are quite well known for their winds. Most days are at least breezy outside of the sheltered areas, such as the town of Friday Harbor which is tucked into a bay with another island also protecting that area more from winds. So, yes I would bring windbreaker type jackets for everyone and also a hat with ear protection if the baby is sensitive to winds as many are.

Here is a detailed general article on the Islands tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju… and also you can find out a lot about the islands including all there is to do here at the many parks at the web site http://www.visitsanjuans.com

Mentioned in this post
Anacortes
Anacortes
Fidalgo Island, WA
Friday Harbor
Friday Harbor
San Juan Island, WA
Washington
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Friday Harbor with an Infant

Hi Angela P,

Welcome to TA.

I see you are from the Seattle area. The weather in the San Juan Islands will be similar (often nicer!) than Seattle, so plan on dressing your infant as you do in Seattle. As you know our weather can be unpredictable, but as Drifting_clouds suggested, a hat and/or hood along with clothing most appropriate for the current conditions will work in the SJI.

Regarding ferry times, for me, personally, if the schedule works, I always prefer to travel earlier in the day.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,677 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Friday Harbor with an Infant

The ferries website has a very specific chart telling you how long you can expect to wait for each ferry time-I'd suggest looking at it.

4. Re: Traveling to Friday Harbor with an Infant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Friday Harbor