We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Dress Code

My husband and I will be visiting San Juan Islands in about a month. I am curious about the "dress code" for restaurants in and around Friday Harbor. Are jeans acceptable in most places or shall we plan on nicer clothes for dinners? Since we will be on vacation we want to be comfortable, but also not out of place. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Friday Harbor
Friday Harbor
San Juan Island, WA
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Code

My SO puts on neater jeans and blouse. Period. No skirt/dress/heels.

I, of course, don't change from jeans/ExOfficio pants and golf shirt or whatever unless necessary. :)

Bring a sweater/jacket; gets cold in the evenings.

San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Code

You can wear whatever you like here (although I will say you might well feel a bit uncomfortable if you dress up here...the only men who ever wear a tie are those going to court and if you wear a suit everyone here knows you are a lawyer with a court appearance that day.....I can't recall ever seeing a woman in a dressed up dress here except a few conservative women on Sunday going to certain churches). When we go to the priciest restaurants here on the Islands I do wear a bit nicer blouse or sweater but that's all, my husband dresses the same all the time no matter where we go here.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress Code

Great minds...

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress Code

Thanks for the quick responses! We will plan on jeans/khakis then. We are both so excited we can hardly wait!

Seattle
Level Contributor
6,416 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress Code

"No shirt, no shoes, no service". That's it. (And I'm not even sure about the "no shoes" bit any more.) Enjoy!

Friday Harbor...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress Code

Casual everywhere. Jeans are fine especially with a nice tee or sweater. Bring lightweight jackets as evenings can be cool.

Enjoy the beauty of the island.

7. Re: Dress Code

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Friday Harbor