We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday Harbor: ferry -- car or no car -- and hotel

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Friday Harbor: ferry -- car or no car -- and hotel

Heading to Friday Harbor on the 28th for two nights. I've scoured the messages on this forum and need a little advice. While this is a business trip and I'll be reimbursed for the cost of the ferry, some comments have me freaked about taking my rental car on the ferry (lines to get on, etc.). I know there aren't any lines for walk-ons, but what would the lines be like for Anacortes to FH on a Sat. afternoon, and returning on Monday at 11 am?

Still figuring out my accommodations. Any thoughts on Earthbox? I'm fine staying out in the country but my meeting is on Argyle Street.

Thanks for whatever you can share.

San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday Harbor: ferry -- car or no car -- and hotel

As it's past the busy time of the year in SJ county tourist traffic drops off significantly insofar as ferry travel. Leaving FH on a Monday around 11am should be pretty low for car traffic but one should always get to the ferry landing for ferries to/from the mainland IMO at least 30 minutes before just so you don't feel concerned. Lots to do in town if you park your car in the ferry lanes early. As to coming from Anacortes on a Saturday afternoon the same amount of time may well be fine, although again so as not to be concerned about the ferry you might want to get there an hour in advance. Less to do at that ferry landing but still enough that you probably won't be bored.

The Earthbox is fine if what your looking for is a decent place in town with a pool (only lodging on SJ island with an indoor pool). It's an older motel that was purchased about 10 years ago by a wealthy couple who moved to the islands and bought first another hotel and then this one which they did refurnish with all new furnishings at that time and it's kept up well. See the reviews for it here on TA at tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60957-d310418-…

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday Harbor: ferry -- car or no car -- and hotel

Was just there middle of last month. Opted to go with out the car. Lines make me nervous.

FH is very walkable, Argyle is not too far from downtown and the Ferry. We stayed at the San Juan Suites, www.sanjuanislandsuites.com which is close to the Ferry as well. You'll want rollable luggage. You may not need the biggest suite = Northwest Passages, but the views on the back of the building are nice.

Great grocery store is close by, as well as the ice cream and coffee shops, restaurants (fine dining and quicker). If you want to rent a car for a while, M & W is available; we rented from them and had a very positive experience. Favorite restaurant was Vinny's http://www.vinnysfridayharbor.com .

It was our first visit and LOVED it. Hope this was helpful, sorry it was late though. Have a blast.

3. Re: Friday Harbor: ferry -- car or no car -- and hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 19:15
Get answers to your questions about Friday Harbor