We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best whale watching outing for small child

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
81 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Best whale watching outing for small child

We're tempted to do a whale watch trip, but what company is best for a small child? I'm thinking that 3 hours might be a little long, and that a larger boat would have less chance of seasickness. Thanks!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best whale watching outing for small child

How do you define a "small child"? Oh, from another post, a 3 yo.

I agree, a larger boat would be more stable. You certainly don't want a Zodiac style. And the larger boat means more room to walk around.

San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best whale watching outing for small child

If you prefer a larger boat, the largest boat that does whale watch trips out here on SJ is named the Odyssey and as they are a much larger boat than the other local boats (80 passengers max) their emphasis is not as much on speed and they do wildlife viewing such as close looks at seals, porpoises and bald eagles as well as see orca whales if they are in the area of San Juan island. They have sitting areas both fore and aft and both inside and out as well as top side outdoors. When I was on this boat earlier this year I saw many children of all ages. You can find out more about that company at: www.watchwhales.com/_about_our_vessel.html

Edited: 29 August 2013, 01:30
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best whale watching outing for small child

This sounds wonderful! Thanks for posting the tip.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best whale watching outing for small child

Only you know your child, their attention span and interest. In general, three hours on a boat is a long time, I would not recommend it for most three years olds.

A far better activity for that age is a trip to the Seattle Aquarium or exploring a beach and tidepools.

5. Re: Best whale watching outing for small child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Friday Harbor