We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Friday Harbor location for Sunset

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Best Friday Harbor location for Sunset

Hi TA experts. I will be in Friday Harbor this weekend for the first time. My overnight kayaking trip was changed into 2 day trips (due to lack of people signing up). It will still be great and looking forward to it.

Question - In the evening, what is the best vantage point for sunset viewing (of course potential orca sightings would be an extra advantage).

1. Take a sunset kayak paddle in Griffin Bay

2. Or find a sunset kayak tour from a company that may go out on the other side of the island

3. Hike somewhere and view from land (will not have a car but open to other ideas for transportation).

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Crystal Seas Kayaking - Day Tours
Bike Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing
Discovery Sea Kayaks
Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Hiking & Camping Tours, Day Trips
San Juan Kayak Expeditions
Multi-day Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing
San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Friday Harbor location for Sunset

Griffin Bay doesn't face the west so that wouldn't be a especially good place to see a sunset....it's more of a place to see a nice sunrise in the morning. I have a friend who lives on the waterfront at that bay and she gets some very nice sunrise photos but sunset, well it's best to be facing west to see a good one. What's best for a public space to be at here on SJI to see a sunset at this time of year? I'd say either Roche Harbor area or a park on the west side like Limekiln Park (where you also have a chance of seeing possible orcas). ). Your best chance of seeing orca whales in season (which is considered May through mid Sept.) would be to take a motorized whale watch trip as the whales are more often seen off the west side of SJ Island and into the Canadian Gulf islands. From land orcas can sometimes be seen from a few parks on SJ island, Limekiln and American Camp, but then it’s really a matter of luck and timing. With a car or by shuttle van during their season you could go out to Lime Kiln Point State Park (also known as Whale Watch Park) and nearby the parking lot you could see the attractive lighthouse perhaps having a picnic at the nearby tables. This is a very scenic spot where orca whales can sometimes be seen along the coastline. There are also bald eagles, seals, porpoises, and the occasional minke or grey whale which can at times be seen as well from this park. However a motorized whale watch boat that can cover many dozens of miles in a short time span and has radio communication with all the other whale watch boats gives the best chance of one seeing orcas on a vacation visit. Information on Limekiln Park is at www.parks.wa.gov/parks/… and for whale watch boat tours see visitsanjuans.com/what-to-do/…A6 And for information on the most recently reported sightings in the San Juan islands see this web site: http://www.orcanetwork.org/sightings/map.html

If you want to go out to either Roche Harbor or Limekiln (aka Whale watch as SJ transit calls it) park you can take the shuttle which runs until Sept. 15th this year. See more info on them at http://www.sanjuantransit.com/schedules.html If you do come out to the islands without a car note that this summer there is a special 1/2 price deal with the shuttle van tickets on the Islands. You can find out how to get that deal at this newspaper article: sanjuanjournal.com/lifestyle/208378881.html… You can always come back by taxi if you want to stay there late at Roche Harbor.

For lots more general information on San Juan island see the San Juan Visitor Bureau web site: http://www.visitsanjuans.com/ and you can also find out more overall information on our own tripadvisor article on the San Juans that I recently updated and which you can find at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Friday Harbor location for Sunset

Thanks Drifting Clouds. Looking forward to my visit, just the info needed!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Friday Harbor location for Sunset

We've gotten somewhat haunting sunset views from Lonesome Cove Resort, north end of SJI, but don't know whether they welcome non guests.

Great sunset photos? Oregon Coast, with its haystacks and rocks!

Edited: 20 August 2013, 02:20
4. Re: Best Friday Harbor location for Sunset

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 04:34
San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Friday Harbor location for Sunset

I have some very nice personal pictures of sunsets here on SJ island, but I don't have them online in a public album. I did find some attractive sunset images from websites of these spots but I've never tried posting individual links to photographs online on tripadvisor, so I'm not sure how this will work as sometimes TA doesn't post a URL as a link but as something that has to be cut and pasted instead. Hope these post as hyperlinks to photos.....

We get quite beautiful sunset here on San Juan island at places like Limekiln, and you can see some images of sunset there at visitsanjuans.com/sites/…20330.jpg and also penick.net/digging/images/2011_07_29_San_Jua… and another nice one... all from different perspectives too …staticflickr.com/8291/7786681400_01ab7a0e40…

From up at Roche Harbor you get a different sunset view with all the boats like at

…staticflickr.com/2632/3991327225_c7f79ce6f1… or up higher on the hill islandmediastudio.com/wp-content/…Nice.jpg or one showing one of the docks …staticflickr.com/2229/…

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Friday Harbor location for Sunset

Wow!!!! Awesome. Pumped up about the trip. I owe you a coffee :)

San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Friday Harbor location for Sunset

If you get me a coffee Cafe Demeter's on Nichols St is the place, and they also make some fine baked goods in the morning as a tip for early ferry riders.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Friday Harbor location for Sunset

You strike a hard bargain, Drifiting_clouds! Pretty soon everyone you help will be buying you dinner. :)

Makua, you are aware that some of the above provided photos appear to have been photo-shopped by the photographer. Don't anticipate the same extraordinary striking views. If, however you do get great shots, and do not photo shop them, please post them.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 21:15
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Friday Harbor location for Sunset

Voyaging.

Understood. Still beautiful pictures, but some are altered. Thanks for your note, and now you have upped the ante, I owe a dinner. :)

10. Re: Best Friday Harbor location for Sunset

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 00:15
Get answers to your questions about Friday Harbor