We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching For Early August - Maya's or Carli's?

Which Friday Harbor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching For Early August - Maya's or Carli's?

Hi. We (husband, me, 12 year old daughter) will be in Seattle for a week. We want to do a whale watching tour - only date that works is Saturday August 6th.

After some researching here I am down to choosing either Bill Maya's or Captain Carli's... due to small number of people per tour. Am I right in feeling that the extra cost will be worth it? Groupon has a deal today for $49 per person (half the normal cost) but on a big boat.

Carli's seems easier - right on Friday Harbor so we can walk over after getting off the ferry. But it's not on the west side of the island which I read has more whale activity once it's August...?

I am unclear on how we'd even get to Snug Harbor for the Maya's tour - are there taxi's and such at the ferry terminal? If so, how much would the ride cost approximately? Would this additional cost over Carli's probably be worth it?

I understand that it's nature and nothing is guaranteed, but I'd like to have the best chance of really getting a great whale wathcing experience while not spending undue funds. Costs add up fast, with tour cost, tips, transport to harbor perhaps, etc., especially for 3 people.

Any and all help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Friday Harbor...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching For Early August - Maya's or Carli's?

Maya's has been doing whale watch trips from SJ for many years. They leave from a better location in some ways to see whales as they are located in Snug Harbor so closer to where the Orcas *traditionally* are more often seen. So the boat doesn't usually have to travel as far to see the Orcas as you would if you were on a boat that left from Friday Harbor. I have been on Maya's whale watch trips a few times in the past and found them to be one of the best on SJ here because they do leave from the west side and he does use a much smaller boat (which I prefer for a number of reason's) and best of all he had/has a hydrophone so you can hear the whales which most of the boats out here do not have. I looked on his web site and see contact info of

http://www.mayaswhalewatch.biz/index.php

Phone: 360-378-7996

Cell: 360-622-6305

Email: captjim@interisland.net

As for how to get out there without a car you can either use SJ transit shuttle which you can find info out at http://www.sanjuantransit.com/ because they do go out to Snug Harboror you can rent a car for the day for about $30-$40 from M & W auto rentals.

As for the other boat you mention Captain Carli I have never heard of them and have lived on the island for many years...it must be quite a new company or owner on that one.

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching For Early August - Maya's or Carli's?

Thanks for the reply!

Groupon today has a price deal to whale watch from Orcas Island on an operator that gets really good reviews here on TA.

Will whale watching be just as good from Orcas as it is from SJI?? Willwe be able to easily get to a fmaily type place to grab some lunch or early dinner? i understand the town isn't right on the ferry dock like it is at Friday harbor...? We will NOT have a car.

Thanks!!

3. Re: Whale Watching For Early August - Maya's or Carli's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 May 2011, 16:05
4. Re: Whale Watching For Early August - Maya's or Carli's?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 May 2011, 22:05
5. Re: Whale Watching For Early August - Maya's or Carli's?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 14:15
Get answers to your questions about Friday Harbor