We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SA trip report

Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
SA trip report

We were in SA from May 5-12 and had a wonderful time! It was our first time there checking it out as my DH is applying to the Army's anesthesia program. Business and pleasure...

We stayed at Hyatt Wild Oak Resort, and I don't have enough good to say about it! It was wonderful and we all can't wait to return! (Our kids are 4, 3, & 9 mo.)

We loved the Riverwalk and its beauty and vibe and went on two separate days. We also stopped at the Alamo and really enjoyed walking the beautiful grounds, although we couldn't absorb much history with the kids. We stopped at the La Cantera shopping area and were blown away. Amazing and beautiful! We did a lot of exploring around the Stone Oak area, although the traffic is very busy! Nice area, though!

Of course a favorite was trying new restaurants per requests on here. Here is where we ate with some thoughts...

Rudy's BBQ- Pretty good food, fun very casual place, enjoyed the outdoor picnic tables. My favorite was the turkey and creamed corn!

Chuy's- Bad service as we waited forever to even get drinks or anything and then server forgot to put DH's entree in the computer. Great food and atmosphere! Nice outdoor patio. Loved the shirts!

Mi Tierra- Fun atmosphere with good food. Took some bakery items and hot chocolate to-go.

Rainforest Cafe- Ate here for my son's 3rd birthday. The kids loved it and it was fun for DH and I also. Food okay but overpriced.

La Hacienda de Los Barrios- The BEST margaritas! Good food and great patio with outdoor bar. Nice playground for kids.

El Mirador- Ate here twice as I chose to go back on Mother's Day for breakfast. Awesome breakfast with wonderful omlettes and hot chocolate! Good location for Riverwalk.

Thanks for letting me share! We can't wait to go back!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SA trip report

Glad you had a good time..Thanks for the report..Great Hotel choice,especially for the kids..Did you try the Shaken Margaritas at Chuey's?..These are our fave in the city..I have been in the Hotel biz for many years..We go to Chuey's weekly for Happy Hour and I notice they have a huge turnover in wait staff ..Every week there are new faces..We will have to definitely check out La Hacienda as I am always searching for great margaritas..Did you order a specialty one or house?Was there once a while ago..Wish hubby good luck..I really respect that vocation as our lives are literally in their hands for a couple of hours...

Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SA trip report

1Life2Live, We did not try the margaritas at Chuy's as it was lunchtime. (Although that shouldn't have stopped us!) We will definatley when we return! It was an enjoyable lunch even with the bad service there... We had regular "on the rocks with salt" margs at Los Barrios. DH is very profecient in Tequila and margs and loved this one even. I ordered one after trying his. :) Very smooth! Thank you for your response!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SA trip report

What a good TR, very enjoyable to read with good detail info. Thanks for taking the time to write one very informative.

We love the atmosphere & surroundings at La Hacienda de Los Barrios & the food is excellent as well. In the downtown area El Mirador is a great choice for Mexican. I love shopping at La Cantera, it's so unique & a beautiful setup in the center. DH likes it cause if he get tired when I can't make up my mind when looking for clothes he just sits outside & enjoy the scenery as he waits on me.

Glad to hear that you & your family had a great time in SA & will keep my finger cross for your DH to get the job.

Thanks again for sharing your SA experience!!!!!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SA trip report

Did you find it very hot?

I like your restaurant feedback. Next time I'm going to tell DH to suck it up - I want Tex Mex!!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SA trip report

Africandaisy~ We did not feel near as hot as anticipated! I realize that it was only the beginning of May, but the mid to high 90s that week felt a lot better than many Ohio summer days. And yes, you MUST try the Tex-Mex and Mexican! YUMMY! :)

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,835 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SA trip report

Loved your TR SA is a great city my wife and i will be returning to visit next month cant wait.

7. Re: SA trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2009, 05:31