We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - May 2 - 9.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - May 2 - 9.

First off - thanks to the various experts and other posters here for the info I acquired before we left. It made quite a difference. This was my husband and my first child-free trip in 22 years and San Antonio was a good choice.

We travelled from Calgary to San Antonio via Denver on United Express. The planes were comfortable and the staff fine but UE is a TOTALLY non-frills airline so feed yourself before you go or prepare to starve. SA airport is small and easy to navigate - no problems and we got the shuttle to car hire.

I do recommend a good map or GPS to navigate your way around SA - I have a great sense of direction but found SA to be quite confusing - not sure why, but I did. The roads are busy but traffic is not terrifying.

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott "Downtown" Situated at the corner of Santa Rosa and Durango it is in walking distance if you feel energetic and served by the excellent Via Trolley Yellow Route. This stops right outside the hotel, costs $1.10 and within minutes will have you at the Riverwalk. It also circles past the Market on the way back. I'll post a separate review of the hotel. I chose the C By M because I wanted to be close to downtown but not pay Riverwalk prices, I also wanted a 2 roomed suite with some sort of kitchen.

Where we ate.

The first night was a bit of a hassle as it was Saturday and busy. We ended up at some mediocre steakhouse (?Lonestar) on the Riverwalk. We didn't eat out every night as we often had a big lunch.

Boudros - very good. Liked the food and the ambience.

Chart House - Tower of Americas - great service, food good, enjoyed the view. Nothing fabulous but worth a visit. Expensive.

Hard Rock Cafe - eh, typical

Water Street Seafood company in Corpus Christi - fine.

What we did

Sunday - Walked around downtown, saw the Imax film of the Alamo (worth it to get an understanding of what its all about especially if you have no clue:), then the actual Alamo itself. Went to the Mexican market and had Margaritas and a plate of appetizers. There is a lot of junk in the shops there but I did get a couple of quality leather things.

Monday - some shopping at Quarry Marketplace and then the afternoon at The San Antonio Botanical garden. Very, very beautiful and well cared for. Worth a visit.

Tuesday - drove down to the coast (about 150 miles away?) Saw the USS Lexington at Corpus Christi and then went to Padre Island and Port Aransas.

Wednesday - drove to San Marcos for lunch with friends and then to the Outlet Malls which if you like shopping are worth a visit. In the early evening we went to Howl at The Moon which we both enjoyed a lot....

Thursday - Sea World. Pricey but fun. I have been to all 3 SWs and I think this one of my favourite. It was VERY hot though so quite draining.

Friday - more shopping (sorry) at the Shops of La Canterra and then we went to the Missions. Again it was VERY hot and pretty humid and we had limited time but we went to the visitor centre at Mission San Jose and Mission Concepcion. The missions are well worth a visit.

Flew home on Saturday via Chicago.

I liked San Antonio very much and would return for a visit, it seems to have something for everyone and thats great if you are there for more than a few days. I found the heat a bit much but my husband loved it (we had quite a few arguments about the AC:) there seemed to be quite a few tourists but it wasn't too busy which was nice.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - 9.

Thanks for taking the time to post a good trip report with very helpful details. I laughed about your AC arguments- my DH and I do the same thing!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - 9.

Really enjoyed your TR..It was interesting because I agreed with everything..A lot of people do not make plans for their first meal..Sadly,this is why you wound up where you did instead of eating a very good steak at Saltgrass(a few steps away)..Glad you got to see the coastal area..As you probably observed Port Aransas is very different from Corpus..Outlet mall is very large but that does not mean a large selection in individual stores..It is best to download a map and directory so you can target fave stores..Weather has been very summerlike here..One of a few drawbacks about residing here..Did you review your San Diego trip?..I would like to read it as it is my fave city in the US..

Texas
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - 9.

Thanks for the great trip report. Glad you had a good trip. I love Sea World too.

You didn't mention much about your visit to Corpus Christi, Padre Island and Port Aransas. Care to share any thoughts about these places?

Canada
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - 9.

Well it was fairly quick - we explored the USS Lexington - which was very interesting, had lunch at the Water Street restaurant and then just drove along the shore on Padre Island - enjoying the ocean views. We stopped at Mustang Island and walked a bit..I was totally impressed with how warm the water was :)... and watched the birds. I would like to spend more time at Port Aransas - it looked like a nice seaside town. Corpus Christi is not very attractive at a quick glance because of all the refineries etc but I'm glad we went there.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - 9.

Thanks again AfricanDaisy. It's good to hear your impressions of that part of the state.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
27,725 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - 9.

Enjoyed your TR San Antonio is a great city and looking forward to my next visit in late July.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - 9.

ADaisy,

Thanks for your comments on Corpus Christi and thanks for visiting us. It is best to close your eyes and your nose while driving by the refineries, unfortunately, when visiting us it is impossible not to see them as they span the major arteries in and out of the city.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - 9.

Thanks so much for the fun detail TR, it was a pleasure to read & glad that overall your trip was enjoyable. As you probably saw there is a lot to do in SA as well in the surrounding area.

Thanks again for sharing your SA experience with everyone!!!!!!

BTW did you eat any Tex Mex food while here?????

Did you enjoy the Riverwalk???

Canada
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - 9.

Sadly we did not try TexMex...it is not the husbands favourite cuisine although I like it very much. I was prepared to override his feelings but somehow never got the chance. LOL.

The Riverwalk was delightful. An Oasis of cool and water in the heat and bustle of the city..and the ducks were fun too.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - May 2 - 9.

We were in SA the same time as you as I just wrote my TR for it! Glad you enjoyed it... So did we!

Get answers to your questions about San Antonio