We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Antonio/Hill Country Kid Friendly Restaurants

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
San Antonio/Hill Country Kid Friendly Restaurants

Hello,

We are arriving next week and staying 5 nights at Hyatt Regency Hill Country. We have a 9,6,and 2 year old and I am trying to nail down our itinerary. We are huge foodies but with young kids in tow it might damper some would be restaurant picks. We are looking for good food, atmosphere, and easily accessible. And a nice view would be nice too:) We are renting a car, but my Husband gets flustered trying to find parking in areas we aren't familiar with. :/

We are planning on Riverwalk of course, but want to stay away from chain restaurants. Is The Pearl District kid friendly for dinner? Thanks in advance!

12 replies to this topic
san antonio
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: San Antonio/Hill Country Kid Friendly Restaurants

Yes, the Pearl is very kid friendly.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,808 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: San Antonio/Hill Country Kid Friendly Restaurants

I'm not sure I'd make the blanket statement that " the Pearl is very kid friendly." There are some venues and times. Farmers' market on Sat and Sun certainly is. The upscale food court is, but I'm not a huge fan of the food there. Lick Ice cream is in the Pearl, also Nearby, Alamo BBQ and Shuck Shack have outdoor areas and are kid friendly. Traveling north on Broadway, there's the Backyard on Broadway with a huge outside playing field. Smoke Shack is a little farther north (past the DoSeum, which I recommend for the kids) and has a playground behind the separate bar. Excelent BBQ.

Other venues. The Cove is an institution with good food and super kid friendly. Bluestar area is along the river and has a great gelato spot - Southalamode. As often mentioned, Mi Tierra is great for kids. Its touristy in the best sense. Beto's Alt-Mex has a playground and unique empanadas.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
20,109 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: San Antonio/Hill Country Kid Friendly Restaurants

nearest is Rudy's BBQ, Buffalo Wild Wings.. not really anything that is not kid friendly

san antonio
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: San Antonio/Hill Country Kid Friendly Restaurants

There's a Bigz burger that's close to there, very kid friendly and great burgers and fries.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
5. Re: San Antonio/Hill Country Kid Friendly Restaurants

Lol, thank you...and fingers crossed my kids don't see BW3's...it's their absolute favorite! But we have a no chain policy while on vacation. :)

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
23 posts
6. Re: San Antonio/Hill Country Kid Friendly Restaurants

Maybe I should start a separate thread, but anybody have an opinion on which restaurant has the best queso fundido?

san antonio
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: San Antonio/Hill Country Kid Friendly Restaurants

The version at La Gloria is pretty good. Some of the best Mexican in SA at a nice riverfront location at The Pearl

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,808 posts
78 reviews
8. Re: San Antonio/Hill Country Kid Friendly Restaurants

Non chain wings - https://www.facebook.com/cullumsattagirl/ It's a great dive.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,808 posts
78 reviews
9. Re: San Antonio/Hill Country Kid Friendly Restaurants

RE: queso fundido -The Fruteria Botanero By Chef Johnny Hernandez; La Gloria; Los Barrios

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,131 posts
76 reviews
10. Re: San Antonio/Hill Country Kid Friendly Restaurants

Lots of chain restaurants near Sea World and the Hyatt Regency Hill Country unfortunately. Octoboy's list from post #2 is a good one.

None are near your hotel though.

+1 Mi Tierra, decent standard queso

+1 La Gloria

+1 The Cove

Schilo's on Commerce is a great deli, over 100 years old.

Magnolia Pancake Haus for breakfast or lunch. There are 2 in the city. We like the one on Huebner.

Reply to: San Antonio/Hill Country Kid Friendly Restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted