We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hotel location/ trip suggestions.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
41 posts
98 reviews
Help with hotel location/ trip suggestions.

We are planning a trip to San Antonio with our 8. & 15 year old daughters. It will be for 2 full days and possibly 2 half days. At some point I plan to hit the outlets in San Marcos.

I have two options I am thinking about.

Staying in Selma, Tx (much cheaper than downtown) and spending one day in downtown San Antonio and the second day in sea world- since I’ll be saving on the hotel.

Or staying downtown at the drury inn and just touring the downtown area.

Are the downtown hotels worth the extra money? It’s about $500 difference. Is sea world worth the ticket price?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Help with hotel location/ trip suggestions.

Save the $500.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
41 posts
98 reviews
2. Re: Help with hotel location/ trip suggestions.

Would you skip Sea World too?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,632 posts
659 reviews
3. Re: Help with hotel location/ trip suggestions.

"Or staying downtown at the drury inn and just touring the downtown area."

I enjoy the drury hotels but $500 difference is a lot so I would save the money if you have kids going.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,045 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Help with hotel location/ trip suggestions.

I too would save the money if it is $500 however not sure why you have chosen a Selma location as it is not near your preferred destinations. You should be able to find budget hotels much nearer Sea World, even in downtown if you stay away from the river itself.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
41 posts
98 reviews
5. Re: Help with hotel location/ trip suggestions.

I chose Selma because it appeared to be in between downtown San Antonio and the San Marcos outlets. It looked like a safe town to stay in. I don’t know the area at all. Sea World is still a maybe. I was going to decide once I got everyone’s feedback on it. Is sea world with the money? My kids have been to Disney world several times and I was worried about their comparison to that. I went to see world when I was a kid but it was so many years ago I really don’t remember it. And I was worried that two days in just the downtown area may be boring to them. I just don’t know. Lol. Trying to get a game plan together and insight from you guys who know the area.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
130 reviews
6. Re: Help with hotel location/ trip suggestions.

Selma is safe, but it’s not a great location since it is on the edge of town and you’d have a long drive in all directions. I’d stay closer in, preferably within the 1604 Loop.

You can easily make the drive up I 35 to the Outlets for one day.

Reply to: Help with hotel location/ trip suggestions.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted