We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cowboy boots

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
190 posts
6 reviews
Cowboy boots

Where is best place (best selection & prices) to buy cowboy boots for both adults and kids in San Antonio? See Cavander's Boot City and Boot Barn show up in my online searches. Any recommendations? Thank you.

7 replies to this topic
Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Cowboy boots

I've always been pretty happy with Cavender's deals and selection. For all I know Boot Barn may be okay, too, but those are the two big boot retailers there. More important is stick to the top-tier brands, which are Tony Lama, Justin, Tony Lama, Tony Lama and maybe Lucchese and Nocona. Forget Laredo, Dan Post, and Frye. They're distinctly inferior. Truth be told, none of them are what they once were. The old top brands have all been absorbed by giant parent companies and are mostly made in Mexico. Lucchese is a sad case. I have a pair of old mahogany goat hide Lucchese's probably 50 years old. I've lost count of how many soles they've had. Of course, if you'll only wear them once a year, you won't care too much, except that you'll know.

When I want boots, I buy vintage off eBay, so I get boots made in the U.S. in the original plants when they were independent makers. Of course, if you have the wherewithall and are willing to wait, you go by Little's. It's not a bad first stop, anyway, so you see what good boots are. http://www.littlesboots.com/

If today I wanted a brand new pair of boots in San Antonio without spending four figures on true custom, I'd look into Olathe. I haven't worn the new ones, but i have some old ones from when they were still made in Kansas. (They're now in Mercedes, Texas.) If you should happen on any, consider them. They're real good boots. This shop sells Olathe. http://www.shiplerboots.com/index.html

They also sell Hondo, which I don't know much about. Since they don't say otherwise, I'm going to say they're Mexican, but at least they say steel shanks and all leather, and cheapos often have plastic shanks and soles stuffed with paper. Anyway, this guy's a repairman, so he's been inside every brand of boot made. Good guy to ask about brands.

Edited: 10 February 2018, 23:31
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: Cowboy boots

For ladies, I’m a big fan of Old Gringo. Their boots have beautiful design and style!

Edited: 11 February 2018, 02:03
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
20,134 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Cowboy boots

http://www.bootbarn.com/stores?StoreID=0147

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
190 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Cowboy boots

Thank you everyone for the terrific recommendations. I think you've given me quite a bit to work with here. Greatly appreciated!

MJT
London
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Cowboy boots

If you're heading to Boot Barn (or Sheplers as I still call it) or Cavenders make sure you pick up one of their discount flyers from the rack in your hotel or join their on line mailing list for a discount on purchase.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Cowboy boots

I have two pair of Lucchese from when they were made in San Antonio. Now they are made in El Paso, but are still considered the top line to have. What ever brand you purchase make sure they have wooden stays and not metal stays your feet will thank you if you wear them for any long period of time.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
105 posts
91 reviews
7. Re: Cowboy boots

My favorite boots are Lucchese....feel amazing!

Reply to: Cowboy boots
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted