We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom/daughter trip iin Nov -

Grantsburg...
Level Contributor
84 posts
49 reviews
Mom/daughter trip iin Nov -

Hello -

My 12 year old daughter and I are planning to visit the week of Thanksgiving. I am not comfortable driving in unknown locations but after reading many reviews here I see that - depending upon our interests - skipping a rental car is recommended any way and we most likely will just take a taxi to/from the airport. Our interests are fairly open - historic sites, art museums, nature and zoos. My thought is to stay downtown near the River Walk but I have a couple of questions related to that:

1. I have narrowed it down to Hyatt Regency, Omni LaMansion, or Drury Inn & Suites. Our main request is a pool - which I believe all have. And then the other primary criteria would be close to places to walk to. Any pros/cons related to those 3?

2. For historic sites - our only must do is The Alamo. Beyond that we are open. So I was looking at the 2 trolley tours for ease of getting around. Any pros/cons for either of those?

3. We are avid zoo fans so will definitely want to get to the zoo one day, along with the botanical garden. First question - is there an easy public transportation to these? Or will it be a good idea to rent a car that day? If so - is there car rental available downtown? Second question - is doing both in a day doable?

Any other ideas/suggestions that you would like to throw at me is greatly appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
778 reviews
1. Re: Mom/daughter trip iin Nov -

Of the hotels you are looking at I like the Omni better than the Hyatt but both are nice. Have not stayed at the Drury. If you stay at any of them you will be able to easily walk to the Alamo, the governor's palace and the other downtown sites but the other missions will require a taxi or Uber. You may also want to take a Uber to the Pearl area. The zoo and gardens can be reached by the Via bus, no car necessary for those or the museum in the same general area. Finally zoo and gardens, don't pass on the Japanese Gardens either, can be done in a day.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,055 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Mom/daughter trip iin Nov -

I too would suggest the Omni first, then Hyatt, and not the Drury at all.

No car needed. You can take city buses, or uber everywhere relatively inexpensively. Bike rental is an option as well. Visiting the Missions should be a consideration also.

Can't help with the trolley tours.

San Antonio Zoo is definitely worth a visit as is the Botanical Gardens and the Japanese Tea Garden.

Visit San Fernando Cathedral and see the Saga projection show there at Main Plaza.

San Antonio Museum of Art is nice as is the McNay.

Edited: 15 October 2017, 21:42
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
778 reviews
3. Re: Mom/daughter trip iin Nov -

Witte museum is close to the zoo and gardens and on the bus route to both. I also second the suggestion you see the Saga projection one evening.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
20,031 posts
85 reviews
4. Re: Mom/daughter trip iin Nov -

some shopping, across form North Star.

https://sammoon.com/

visit to Market Square..Mi Tierra, the Mexican bakery, 24hr

If it is a birthday or something, across from there is Pico De Gallo...more local, very colorful

little shops on the river @ La Vallita, walk over to King William historic area...eat in a historic German home....Guenther House..

https:/…the-guenther-house.jpg

stop into Schilo's German deli..circa 1917..root beer on tap

a stop at Boudro's on the river...guacimole salad made tableside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUXIQH2pPI0

walk through historic Menger hotel

of course, a river boat ride

Edited: 17 October 2017, 07:25
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,803 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: Mom/daughter trip iin Nov -

Great info so far!

The DoSeum is our new (2 years old) children's museum. It's close to the Zoo and the Witte, served by the same Via buss as those attractions. 12 years is the top end of the age bracket, but it's only $12 per person and has some great hands on activities.

I'm not a big fan of Sam Moon and it would be a long bus ride.

Grantsburg...
Level Contributor
84 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Mom/daughter trip iin Nov -

Thank you for all of your thoughts/ideas. I especially appreciate the VIA bus as I had not come across that yet and yes - that seems very doable for me. And I will definitely check out the other new ideas/suggestions as well.

Edited: 21 October 2017, 20:33
San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Mom/daughter trip iin Nov -

These buses will take you where your would like to go. They don't cover everything, but close enough.

http://www.viainfo.net/viva-routes/

Reply to: Mom/daughter trip iin Nov -
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted