We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip in March

Which Tucson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Topic
First trip in March

Hi. I am planning my first trip to Tucson. I am from NYC, and am thinking of coming during the week of March 18. I have a few questions:

1. Anything special going on that week? I could also come during the following week as well.

2. I very much want to visit the observatories. I see there is Kitt Peak and Mt. Lemmon. I was thinking of doing a night of each. Are their programs very similar, or would they be uniqe experiences.

3. I love wildlife, so would want to vist the Arizona Sonorra Desert Museum. Is that an all-day activity, or just a few hours.

4. The Titan Missile Silo seem really interesting to me.

5. Other than that, I would like to take some scenic drives. I do enjoy walking, and some short hikes could be nice.

6. I'm thinking of arriving Sunday or Monday and leaving Thursday or Friday.

Thanks

Calgary,AB
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First trip in March

Are there any days better than others for native handicrafts at San Xavier? Or are you just referring to who shows up on that day to sell?

Edited: 08 March 2012, 20:01
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,630 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First trip in March

Sometimes on weekends and holidays there are some folks selling things there in the dirt plaza in front of the San Xavier mission. South of the dirt plaza in front of the mission are some shops in a small plaza or courtyard that are usually open. The native crafts of the Tohono O'Odham are primarily basketry woven of natural materials with their traditional designs.

new england
Level Contributor
392 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First trip in March

For those of us who lived through the era, the Titan Missile Museum is fascinating, especially if you end up with a tour guide who was stationed there during active duty (I have no idea if you can call ahead to see if/when a veteran of the site will be conducting tours on any given day but it might be worth a try). Btw, you can visit the San Xavier del Bac mission on the way to, or back from, the Titan Missile Museum.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First trip in March

I would not miss the Pima Air Museum and the Boneyard tour. It could be a 5 or 6 hour day. You can walk or do a tram ride!! Very interesting and worthwhile.

15. Re: First trip in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:40