We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non A/C rooms in the summer (July)

Which Estes Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
290 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Non A/C rooms in the summer (July)

I booked a hotel room for several days this coming summer. Then, at the end of the booking it told me the rooms are not airconditioned. What risk am I taking? I know it likely gets cool in the evenings, but why do other hotels have a/c then?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,477 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non A/C rooms in the summer (July)

You will find AC a rare commodity in Colorado, even in newly built homes. You might want a fan though.

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
621 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non A/C rooms in the summer (July)

I would not worry about the lack of a/c unless it is directly south facing. Even then, it really does not get too bad IMO. I've never had a/c in any of my houses since moving to Colorado and have not missed it.

Even when it does get hot (or at least 'hot' by Estes Park standards), the trick is to have the windows open all night. In the morning before the sun starts really picking up and you're on the way out for a fun day, close the windows and drop all the blinds. You'll have a much coller place to return to at the end of your day.

florida
Level Contributor
456 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non A/C rooms in the summer (July)

We live in South Florida, and are addicted to AC. At our place in Estes, we have a corner unit, monster windows, and get more sun than we know what to do with. We crank those windows open, run our fans, and other than late afternoon, temperature isn't a big problem. Even then, on vacation, are you going to be at the hotel at 3-4pm? Probably not.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
355 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non A/C rooms in the summer (July)

We stayed in a cabin in Estes last July that did not have a/c and were fine. You probably won't be there much during the heat of the day, and the cool Colorado breeze through the open windows at night was glorious. Enjoy your trip!

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non A/C rooms in the summer (July)

It's a rare occasion when it gets very hot in Estes Park. Unless it gets to 100 in Denver, which doesn't happen every year. Then Estes may get to 90. Usually it's 85 or under and with the dryness, is pleasant. The nights get into the 40's even in summer. A fan might be useful if you're in a place with lots of windows and not many trees for shade.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
309 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non A/C rooms in the summer (July)

It really shouldn't be an issue. I've stayed at hotels, condos, cabins in Estes and elsewhere in CO mountain areas with no A/C. It doesn't get that hot, plus it's very dry. We just kept our shades drawn when we left each morning. That way, in case we did want to come back for a little afternoon siesta, it wasn't hot inside.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non A/C rooms in the summer (July)

Almost 30 years ago we came to Estes Park and Colorado for the first time on our honeymoon. Our travel agent in Mississippi had never been here either. With no internet at the time, we had to look through those big travel books to find a hotel. She found The Stanley Hotel and it looked awesome, but we decided not to stay there because it was not air conditioned. Being from the Mississippi Coast we thought it was necessary in June. When we arrived there was still snow on the ground, we stayed in a dumpy little motel with a broken down window unit, wore jackets to stay warm in the evenings, and had a view of the magnificent Stanley Hotel on our honeymoon :(

You really won't need an AC in Estes most of the time.

8. Re: Non A/C rooms in the summer (July)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:08