We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Sequim, WA

Mesa, Arizona
4 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Sequim, WA

I will be attending a workshop for 5 days in August in Sequim, WA.

We are finished everyday at 5 pm. I would like to use my evening hours

enjoying the area. Do you have any suggestions?

I might even camp the 5 days at Dungeness Recreation Area or Sequim Bay State Park so would

love any input on that idea. (good idea? safe? easy driving to Sequim? etc) Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Dungeness Recreation Area
Dungeness Recreation Area
76 Reviews
Sequim, WA
Sequim Bay State Park
Sequim Bay State Park
58 Reviews
Sequim, WA
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,553 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Sequim, WA

In August the sun sets around 8pm. So you will not have a lot of time for outdoor activities. Dungeness Spit is an obvious option. You probably have this website http://www.clallam.net/Parks/Dungeness

The benefit of Dungeness is of course access to the the Spit and the trails along the bluff. It is also not just off hwy 101 like Sequim Bay State Park. It will take you a bit longer to get to most places given it is further from the hwy., but I see that as a plus. I have never camped at either campground, but Dungeness seems to get more sun.

If you had more time in the afternoon renting a bike and riding the Discovery Trail would be fun. I rode part of it last week. Make sure you check out Sunny Farms for groceries. Not sure if it is something you would be comfortable doing, but I would consider going up to Hurricane Ridge on a clear night to stargaze. Often there are people up there with telescopes willing to share. I would consider driving back down in he dark, but maybe it is not for you.

Do you have anytime before or after the workshop to spend anytime in Olympic NP?

Sorry but with about three hours of daylight and you returning to a campsite it is difficult to provide ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Sequim Bay State Park
Sequim Bay State Park
58 Reviews
Sequim, WA
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Sequim, WA

Both parks are good. Sequim Bay State Park will have more campers. If you are alone, that might make you feel a little more secure. Olympic Discovery Trail goes right through the state park if you are into bicycling. Come over and visit Port Townsend one night for dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Sequim Bay State Park
Sequim Bay State Park
58 Reviews
Sequim, WA
Port Townsend
Port Townsend
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Sequim, WA

August 1 sunset at 8:49

August 15 sunset at 8:26

August 31 sunset at 7:56

Edited: 21 April 2016, 06:24
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,505 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Sequim, WA

I waited to reply to this query because I could not figure out anything cheerful to say. Basically, everything in Olympic National Park is out. The problem with Hurricane Ridge is that its summit is 1 hour at least from Sequim, possibly as much as 1 hour and 15 minutes if you are on the eastern side of Sequim. That's 2 to 2.5 hours, all of it after 5 pm. I have loved watching the alpenglow of evening on Hurricane Ridge, but I know the road so well I can drive it in the fog. If you have any reservations about driving in dusk or after nightfall, don't do it. Deer cross the road all the time. Lake Crescent is really no better. You don't have time for the Spruce Railroad Trail after 5:00 pm, and Marymere Falls is both too far and too dark for an evening hike. The Elwha Valley trails are not at all suitable for evening hiking or driving. The roads to both Olympic Hot Springs and Whiskey Bend are unpaved, narrow, twisty, and lined with thick stands of dark trees.

It is so frustrating. Here you are, so near and yet so far. At least the Dungeness Spit is lovely.

Mentioned in this post
Hurricane Ridge
Hurricane Ridge
1,538 Reviews
Olympic National Park, WA
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Lake Crescent Lodge
Lake Crescent Lodge
932 Reviews
Marymere Falls
Marymere Falls
520 Reviews
Port Angeles, WA
Olympic Hot Springs
Olympic Hot Springs
23 Reviews
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
5. Re: Visiting Sequim, WA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2017, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Angeles