We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive time

California
Level Contributor
502 posts
37 reviews
Drive time

I'm weighing staying in Port Angeles vs Lake Crescent area. Some of our group wants to do lots of exploring & hiking, but we have to have hotel not camping so makes things tricky. There are a few places on Penninsula but cost for 3 days x 3 rooms is expensive. Staying in Port Angeled would be much more affordable BUT what will drive time be to the Lake and other areas worth exploring? Are we taking an hour or 2-3?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,755 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Drive time

You are talking about adding on about 20 minutes of driving. Where you stay depends on what you want to see and do. Also time of year. How many nights are you talking about. Some of the best sit s like the magnificent rain forests are on the coastal side if the Olympic Penninsula. There are houses in great locations not far from Lake Crescent, the Forks area and Lake Quinault is that can accommodate six people and you would have a kitchen. I suggest you look at a map of the Olympic Penninsula and Olympic National Park on the Internet. You can also get estimated driving times between places on the net.

California
Level Contributor
502 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: Drive time

Glacier meadow-

Thanks. I'm a bit unfamiliar with this area. Normally I'd go on TripAdvisor and get info and housing I need. I REALLY don't know How to research drive time or how to find lodging near Lake Crescent if it doesn't appear on Trip Advisor. I am normally traveling with immediate family also ...making it easier! This is a couple families. Any and all links or tip are appreciated! I'll research your above tios

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,755 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Drive time

I can not help you unless you give me more info. What are your dates? How many nights are you considering.?

Do any of you want to hike. Do you want to spend time near the Ocean or any of the rainforests. If so do you want to drive back and forth from these places to Port Angeles adding over an hour each way? Is eating out important or are you willing to get a rental with a kitchen. What is it you ant to see and do?

Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
4. Re: Drive time

This is from www.kaleberg.com under the ONP tab:

www.kaleberg.com/mapping/distances.html#

Trip Advisor is wonderful, but it is not a substitute for Google or other search engines. Search for "Olympic NationalPark + lodging," or "Lodging near Lake Crescent." It is not rocket science.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,823 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Drive time

You can also use GoogleMaps; it's very easy. First, type in a destination such as "Lake Crescent," then hit the "Get directions" button. A window will come up where you can type the other end of your trip, such as "Port Angeles." Voila! GoogleMaps will give you a driving estimate as well as a map with a route laid out. It will also give you written directions.

California
Level Contributor
502 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Drive time

Glacier meadow-

May 15-18

Simple hikes

Sole duc (spell ??)

Ruby beach/Seconds

Lake crescent hikes

Possibly Hoh but only if short drive

Would like kitchen in nicer house . Seen newer/nice VRBO homes.

Arriving from Victoria after 5 nights there.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,755 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Drive time

I will send you some ideas. Ruby is too far. Rialto Beach is your most accessible beach. I know some great rentals outside of Forks with ktchens and three bedrooms. That would give you access to the Hoh Rainforest and Rialto and Second Beach. How about two nights there and one closer to Lake Crescent. I also know a rental on Lake Crescent that I have stayed at. Not sure if it would work for you. Master bedroom and another bedroom with a queen and a bunk bed. I know it is set up more for one large family.

The third option is some rentals on Place Road. They are on the Straights of Juan de Fuca, which is somewhat like being on the Ocean with a great beach. About 20 minutes to Lake Crescent. They are listed on VRBO. This is a unique location. Let me know what you think. Location in this case is what it is all about.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,823 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Drive time

You really need to do some research. Your list of destinations and the way you describe them indicate that you don't know very much about them. Second Beach is not for you, given your expressed preference for simple hikes. Second Beach requires a 20 minute hike through the woods down to the beach, and then you have to walk on and over huge driftwood logs in order to reach the sand. In addition, this hike is not worth doing unless you time it to the tide, as most of the good tide pools are under water at higher tides. Rialto Beach, as Glaciermeadow says, is the beach for you.

There is no way to reach the Hoh Rain Forest by a short drive. It is not close to anything.

There are some places where you can just show up and have a wonderful time, even if you know little about them. ONP is not such a place. There are few scenic drives, everything is far apart, and the tourism infrastructure is very limited once you get west of Port Angeles. Even finding a gas station can be a bit of a problem, and finding a place to get food can be worse. Your trip will be so much better if you learn more about the area.

9. Re: Drive time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2017, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Angeles