We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day hikes

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
114 reviews
day hikes

My wife and I are coming out to ONP October 9th for 6 days. We are looking to do 5-6 hour day hikes. We can do easy, moderate or difficult. I bought the hiking guide by Craig Romano " Day Hiking Olympic Peninsula ". Wow, tons of hikes. We are staying at a B&B between Port Angeles and Sequim. What I am wandering is what are the local recommendations for hikes. We would prefer not to drive to far each day to the trails, maybe 2-2 1/2 hours. So I have no idea how far that would take us , so ideas on that would sure help also. We are not looking for anything in particular, we just want to get out and explore the ONP. I see you have a crabfest going on that weekend, Yum!!! We will be taking that in.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,787 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: day hikes

Royal Basin, Upper Dungeness, Gray Wolf, Slab Camp, Deer Ridge are all near to your lodging and some of my favorites.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,822 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: day hikes

The hikes suggested by Pala are all great alpine hikes. You are also close enough to Hurricane Ridge to do the Lake Angeles/Klahane Ridge hike and the hikes at the end of Obstruction Point Road. If you want a pickup, which you might need as some of these trails are not loops, call Green 8 Taxi 360 460 0879.

ONP's greatest feature is its diversity, and you really should see the beaches and the rain forests as well as the mountains. The Hoh Rain Forest is one of the wonders of the world. The Hoh Visitor Center is just within your range, about 2 hours and 10 minutes from where you are staying. Hike the River Trail for 6 hours; you won't regret the long drive. The only problem is that it is now getting dark around 6:00 pm, and it would be good if you were off the really isolated roads before dark, as they are not lighted, and animal crossings can be a danger. Once east of Lake Crescent, you would be fine, even driving in the dark.

Another great rain forest/old growth forest hike close to the Hoh RF is the Bogachiel Trail. It's great, and almost no one takes it. It starts on Undie Road, off 101 about 90 minutes west of your B&B, but you will have to drive slowly once you are on Undie Road as it is unpaved and not in great shape. Be prepared for some mud on the trail. I have seen elk right on the trail. You can see their wallows, too.

The Cape Alava/Sand Point loop of 9.3 miles is a wonderful beach hike, but it, like the Hoh River Trail, is just within your driving boundary, about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Also, you must time this hike to the tides by arriving at the trail head about 2 hours before low tide. If this does not work for you, drive to Rialto Beach instead and just keep hiking. You can climb up over the headland at the end of the beach and walk and walk. Rialto Beach will be about 90 minutes from you B&B. Bring a good rain jacket just in case. It can get windy there.

I wish you could do the Elwha River hikes. The Elwha River Valley is just 8 minutes west of Port Angeles, but, wouldn't you know it, they are working on both the Olympic Hot Springs and the wonderful complex of trails above Whiskey Bend. They should be finished with the Hot Springs Trail right after you leave!

There is another set of great mountain hikes above Sol Duc Falls. You can do Deer Lake and The Potholes as a day hike. The trail to Sol Duc Falls is just about 1 hour and 10 minutes from your B&B, and much of the drive is beautiful.

Let me know if you need any info about Port Angeles restaurants, wine bars, and brew pubs. There is a terrific restaurant in Sequim, Alder Wood Bistro, but they are only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. They serve lunch and dinner featuring locally sourced foods. You could also do a whale watch from Port Angeles.

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
114 reviews
3. Re: day hikes

Wow, thank you Pala and kaleberg for your suggestions on what looks like some awesome hikes. It really helps to narrow it down as there are so many great choices. The River trail and the Bogacheil trail in the Hoh rain forest really intrigue me. If you had to do one, which would you do? Yes and any info on restaurants, wine bars, pubs, etc. would be awesome. There is nothing better than coming off the trail and going out for a great meal, a good local brew and talk about the day and plan the next days hike. We are pretty much opened to all kinds of cuisine. Steaks, burgers, salads, but the thought of being around so much fish and seafood really makes my mouth water! We really enjoy going where the locals go, not that the touristy places are bad, it is just our preference. I tell you what, hearing about these hikes and planning this, I am really excited to see and be in ONP.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,822 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: day hikes

If I could only do one rain forest hike, there is no question that I would do the River Trail at the Hoh Rain Forest. For one thing, the trees there look like something from another planet. For another, the Hoh River is a glacial river, which means that it has an unusual milky blue color due to all the minerals suspended in its water. The Bogachiel, though a sparkling beauty, is not glacially fed, and lacks this gorgeous color.

Some of the local favorites in Port Angeles include Bar Hop Brewing, which has good pizza and locally made beer, Lazy Moon Brewpub, Next Door Gastropub, Sabai Thai Restaurant, Bella Italia, Little Devil's Lunchbox, Turnip the Beat, Wildfire Grill, and Wine on the Waterfront. I will describe a few.

Wine on the Waterfront has a very good wine bar with tasty small plates of food. Bella Italia is probably PA's prettiest restaurant, with a beautiful little wine bar, but order carefully here. Anything listed among the specials is going to be very good. The owner has excellent connections with the fish brokers, and if halibut, steelhead, salmon, or whole crab is among the specials, it will be fresh and of superb quality. The wines by the glass are also very well chosen. However, the regular menu items are nowhere near as good as the specials. Stick to the specials at Bella, and you won't go wrong. Bella is probably the most expensive of the places I am describing, but it is not outrageously priced by any means.

Sabai Thai is an unpretentious Thai restaurant that also does well by our local fish. The salmon red and green curries are excellent. Next Door Gastropub is a local favorite with very good burgers, fries, and cocktails. It is often packed, so go off hour or call for a reservation. Little Devil serves wonderful lunch burritos, tacos, and sandwiches in a tiny but sparkling restaurant. It is a favorite of our local Coasties. I always do takeout, but if you want a beer with your lunch, you must drink it there. Friends who have visited Wildfire recently raved about the steak.

Turnip the Beet is an adorable little place right next to the Meta Room, a bar that often has live music. Turnip serves fresh, healthy wraps, made with lots of good vegetables as well as various meats and salmon.

None of these places is as good as Alder Wood Bistro in Sequim, which is a Seattle class place, but they will all serve you a very enjoyable dinner accompanied by great wine, beer, or ale. After dinner you can stroll along our newly built waterfront promenade. There is also a good bookstore with evening hours, Port Book and News, just a few doors down from Bella Italia.

5. Re: day hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2016, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Angeles