We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography around Lake Crescent -Access

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Photography around Lake Crescent -Access

I want to do early morning and late evening photography around Lake Crescent. Want to know if there a good access point to shore of the lake. Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Raees

Mentioned in this post
Lake Crescent Lodge
Lake Crescent Lodge
912 Reviews
Olympic National Park, WA
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography around Lake Crescent -Access

Where the Lake ends is mostly developed, so there are a few places to shoot. For sunset your best place would probably be the large lawn next to the Salmon House up the road from the Lodge. Sunrise is trickier. There is a parking lot on the Nort Shore Road before you get to most of the houses. Or let the people at the Quinault River Inn know the day before you want to shoot from their lawn in front of their motel. These are my best guesses not knowing exactly where the sun will be on any given date. Keep in mind that sunset can also be lovely over the River if you drive a ways up the South Shore Road and pull over before the bridge.

If you are up for sunrise then head for the meadows just across the River on the North Shore. Great place to spot deer and elk early in the morning.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,355 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography around Lake Crescent -Access

Glaciermeadows, you are talking about the wrong lake.

Uraees, there are many places. Try the Barnes Creek exit section of the lake, about 35 minutes west of Port Angeles. There are many spots to photograph the lake there, and you can visit the grounds of Lake Crescent Lodge.

Mentioned in this post
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Lake Crescent Lodge
Lake Crescent Lodge
912 Reviews
Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography around Lake Crescent -Access

another possibility is a canoe or kayak rental from he Lodge -- see olympicnationalparks.com/activities/water.as… ... it says that rentals start at 0800 but maybe you could make a overnight deal with them.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography around Lake Crescent -Access

I got your private message.

Sorry I missed that you were talking about Crescent. Too bad you could not find a place at Quinault. At the very end of Lake Crescent on the West end is the campground. If you walk to the beach in the campground you may get a good sunrise over the Lake and Mt. Storm King. One of my favorite photos on my first visit to Olympic in 72 was taken there. Because of the mountains the you will not see the sun itself rising from the horizon till latter. Sunsets are pretty on the Lake, but I think there are better places. I just spent three weeks on the water in Sequim (Dungeness). I got some lovely sunrises and sunsets from a New Park at the end of Dungeness Road. It is where the Three Crabs Restaurant used to be. If you Google Three Crabs Sequim you can still get directions. There are places closer to a Port Angeles, but what I like about this spot is you can shoot sunsets over the water and over wetlands with inn a five minute walk. If you are patient you can get ducks and geese in the foreground. I will post or send you some photos so you can see the potential.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Crescent Lodge
Lake Crescent Lodge
912 Reviews
Sequim
Sequim
Washington
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography around Lake Crescent -Access

Thanks glaciermeadows , tennisjazz and kaleberg for your most valuable inputs

6. Re: Photography around Lake Crescent -Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2016, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Angeles