We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping on the beach?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
379 posts
6 reviews
Camping on the beach?

We are planning our family trip to New Zealand the last week of November. 90 Mile Beach looks absolutely beautiful and we would like to camp. In my search I have only found a campsite with 80 sites, and another motor camp that appears to have very close together stands. Is there anything else? We will have tents, 4x4, and everything needed for camping. Thank you, Cherie

12 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
379 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Camping on the beach?

I have located two campsites in the Northland region, Rarawa and Tapotupotu Bay which look nice. It appears that Tapotupotu does not take reservations and it is first come, first served. Would late November be a problem getting a spot or two? Thank you, Cherie

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
129 reviews
2. Re: Camping on the beach?

For a late November stay I doubt you'll have any problems securing a spot. From Christmas through to late January is peak time for holiday-makers and campers.

Rarawa beach is awesome! This area is a very beautiful and fortunately remote part of NZ.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,163 posts
472 reviews
3. Re: Camping on the beach?

Department of conservation campgrounds are generally in lovely areas, but are basic. And also great value. freedom camping is not permitted as a tent is not a self contained camper (and can result in heafy fines).

Rarawa beach is a good choice, Also a couple of hours away are the beautiful Matai Bay - a stunning DOC campground.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
129 reviews
4. Re: Camping on the beach?

I'm sure the poster and family won't mind the basic facilities at the Far North DOC camps. All the ones mentioned above, and the better equipped camping ground at Waipapakauri ramp (on 90 Mile Beach) are set in awesome locations anyway.

There is also Wagener holiday park located at Houhora Heads, a short drive south of Pukenui village where you can purchase supplies. This more developed camp is handy to both Cape Reinga driving directly north, or across to Karikari pensinsula which is where Matai Bay sits at the very end of the road. The latter mentioned DOC campsite has become 'discovered' over the past 20 years and numbers certainly swell over peak summer months, although late November should have space available.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,693 posts
443 reviews
5. Re: Camping on the beach?

Agree that Matai Bay Campground is fabulous. Ther eis also a large DoC campsite at Spirits Bay. You would just about have them to yourselves in November, but please don't freedom camp and pollute our beautiful beaches.

I assume itis your own 4WD, not a rental if planning to driveon 90 Mile Beach!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,543 posts
220 reviews
6. Re: Camping on the beach?

Camp grounds do 80% of their trade in 20% of the year. You wont need to book (even if you could) as they are only chocker from just before Christmas to mid January.

The best way to be sure is to try and be settled by 4pm.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
129 reviews
7. Re: Camping on the beach?

I seriously don't believe the OP has intentions of "freedom camping" knowing that fresh water supply and toilets will be an issue. NZ Mike has it spot on in respect of camping availability in the Far North.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
148 reviews
8. Re: Camping on the beach?

ccc90266-what facilities are you expecting in a camp ground?

My parents are based in northland NZ and tend to stay places where facilities can be as basic as a tap and a long drop.equally they stay in places with full cooking,hot showering etc facilities

Just checking your expectation levels before recommending anything

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Camping on the beach?

Unsure of camp grounds sorry however a tip re your 4X4 - don't take it on the beach like some locals and tourists do. It is quite dangerous and your insurance won't cover you. Enjoy your stay, it is a great part of the County

California
Level Contributor
10,965 posts
73 reviews
10. Re: Camping on the beach?

A great resource for locating camping locations: https://www.rankers.co.nz/respect

Reply to: Camping on the beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kaitaia
Recent Conversations